Success rate of hatching eggs laid 13 days ago

This spring I hatched eggs that were kept cool and turned once or twice a day...up to 3 weeks old. Of course the hatching rate wasn't like if they would have been fresh. But I still got a good rate. Don't worry about 2 week old eggs. They are fine!
Thank you!
The commercial hatching industry has developed "ideal" storage conditions for hatching eggs. Around 55* F, high humidity, regular turning, avoid warm up and cool down cycles, things like that. The closer you can meet those the longer the eggs stay viable. To them two weeks is great. After that viability supposedly starts to drop but can remain pretty good for three weeks.

A hen will hide eggs in a nest for two weeks as she lays a clutch and still be able to get great hatches. Those hidden nests are usually on dirt and in shade so conditions aren't that bad, but she does not go back during the day to turn them except when she is laying an egg.

I don't know how close those eggs were stored to ideal conditions. Even if I did I could not predict with any accuracy. You'll know in a few weeks. I wish you good luck.
Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom