Sudden Death

btall

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2015
Started the Spring with four healthy mixed heritage breed hens laying regularly. All seemed fine until one morning in June I found one of the hens dead in the run. Found another in August and the third this morning. I’ve lost a couple over the years with no explanation and a few to varmits. Mostly lose them to old age. These three all appeared happy and health the day before and showed no evidence of foul play, mites or lice on them or in the coop and no worms in the poop. Fed them the same organic layer rations I’ve always used, and regular treats from the kitchen and garden. Ocassionally mixed in dried seaweed, probiotics and diatomaceous earth with the treats. Gave them meal worms and scratch occasionally for an extra treat. They had ready access to fresh water in the coop and the run. Don’t have the stomach to do an autopsy and the state doesn’t provide this service. Any ideas about what might be going on or suggestions for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Don’t have the stomach to do an autopsy
To second @U_Stormcrow suggestion, if you can stand even a little bit, that could tell you a lot.

For example, one cut into the abdomen and you will either see large amounts of fat (problem) or small amounts of fat (likely OK in a laying hen) or absolutely no fat at all (different problem.)

Since being overweight, or badly underweight, is bad for a chicken, just that amount of information can tell you quite a bit. If one chicken is badly overweight, the others probably are too, and you need to change their diet & exercise. If one chicken is badly underweight, the others may also be underweight, and you should check their diet and check for parasites (like intestinal worms.) If the amount of fat is good, you have quickly ruled out a bunch of common issues, and can decide whether to look futher.

I'm sorry for your losses. There are so many variables that are impossible for us to know, that it would just be wild guessing.
Most states have some resource for necropsy due to the major diseases that affect commercial farms, Newcastles, Avian Influenza, etc. Links below to some state resources. You can also call your local Agriculture Extension office and ask the, just tell them you've lost several birds to unknown causes.
When I started out I didn't think I could handle a necropsy either, but I do them whenever needed now, it's not actually that bad. If you have made a chicken for dinner, or a turkey for thanksgiving, it's actually not much different (IMHO). You can lay a cloth over their head if needed, makes it a little less personal. It really can provide important info, and sometimes peace of mind.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

All seemed fine until one morning in June I found one of the hens dead in the run. Found another in August and the third this morning. I’ve lost a couple over the years with no explanation and a few to varmits. Mostly lose them to old age.

If you've had chickens as long as you've been on BYC (8 years), and that's been your previous experience, I wouldn't worry about any of the things that are unchanged in your arrangements between previous cohorts of chickens and this batch. I would look carefully to see if there's anything different in their environment, or any similarities with the inexplicable deaths in the past. Could they have got access to something toxic like slug pellets, rat poison, mouldy compost? It's very odd that these 3 mysterious deaths are at 2 month intervals.

Back
Top Bottom