Sudden Floppy Comb...

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
Hello Y'all! I have a 1.5 year old Buff Orpington hen named Waffles. Her comb has always been straight until a few days ago. I noticed that the end is flopping to the right and that it is a bit paler and purple where it is flopped. The rest of her comb is fine. She has been acting just fine and there does not seem to be a problem with her. Any ideas on what might be going on? I don't think its normal because her comb has always been straight and small. Thanks! :D💚

She is probably dehydrated and needs electrolytes added to her water, such as sav-a-chick, gatorade or you can make your own electrolyte solution. If you want to make your own, scroll down the article I will link for the list of ingredients.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and/
Yes, she was showing signs of heat stress so I gave her some water with what I have left of home-made electrolytes and gave her a bath to calm the stress, which she seemed to enjoy. I will try to continue giving electrolytes. Thank you!

There comb loose color and flop, then they sometimes act withdrawn and there feathers starts dropping. Sometimes they loose a lot of feathers others it's in patches of varying degree.
Thank you! I will keep an eye out for that on her. How often do they molt? She is a year in a half.

Back
Top Bottom