Sudden hen death without symptoms

farmteacher

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
I just lost my first hen to what appears to be sudden death. I have a flock of 14, and this girl, along with 3 others with her were added around January and have all done very well.

I woke up to find her dead on the floor of the coop. There had been no signs of illness or injury.

My question is, would you have her tested for anything to make sure there is nothing to worry about with the rest of the flock?

Thank you for any advice. I'm so sad this morning, I love my hens so.
IMG_9298.JPG

I have heard that when the hen dies suddenly it is usually from organ failure, but maybe someone else can confirm that for me.

Personally I wouldn't feel the need to do a necropsy until I saw another one die really soon with the same situation, since the majority of contagious diseases have symptoms first. Others may get a necropsy done to be cautious, it kind of depends on your management choices, I think.

If you wanted a lab to look at her you have to get her in the refrigerator as soon as possible or the results may not be accurate. Let me know if you are in the US and want to look into doing a necropsy, I can send you a list of state labs.

Back
Top Bottom