Sudden mood swing in my rooster

Chicken_lady2202

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2020
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
I have one rooster and three hens and they seemed to go along pretty well. They even shared food together and never had any problems. We feed them good quality food and in good quantity. All of a sudden today my rooster started behaving differently and started pecking on them(not mating pecks) . Please help me with a solution 😭🙏. I am afraid they will never be friends.

I have one rooster and three hens and they seemed to go along pretty well. They even shared food together and never had any problems. We feed them good quality food and in good quantity. All of a sudden today my rooster started behaving differently and started pecking on them(not mating pecks) . Please help me with a solution 😭🙏. I am afraid they will never be friends.
How old are your hens and rooster?
Have they always been together?
How much space do you have for them?
Can you shoot a video of his behavior, post it to YouTube then provide a link to the video here?

Attachments

• welcome2.jpg
    welcome2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2
He is probably reaching sexual maturity. I hate to break it to you, but he won’t be a sweet cuddly boy for much longer. He is basically being a horny teenage boy towards the hens; he has this urge to mate but doesn’t quite know how - kinda like when a boy who likes you trips you on the playground bc he wants your attention. Just be very aware of his behaviors and make sure he always knows that you are boss... or he try and start dominating you.

Can you shoot a video of his behavior, post it to YouTube then provide a link to the video here?
Ditto All Dat^^^
Age in weeks or months.
Space in feet by feet.......and pics!

....and Welcome to BYC! @Chicken_lady2202
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1605705083764.png

My rooster is 2 years old, one hen is 7 months old and the others 3 months. They have seperate cages, one for the rooster and one the hens. It's good enough for them to sleep as they free-range all day. Okay then I'll do it

He is probably reaching sexual maturity. I hate to break it to you, but he won’t be a sweet cuddly boy for much longer. He is basically being a horny teenage boy towards the hens; he has this urge to mate but doesn’t quite know how - kinda like when a boy who likes you trips you on the playground bc he wants your attention. Just be very aware of his behaviors and make sure he always knows that you are boss... or he try and start dominating you.
The thin
But the thing is he is two years old. I thought they reach puberty before. I never saw him mate though. And he wasn't like this before and he's doing this only to the hens, not me. What should I do about it

Back
Top Bottom