Suddenly Aggressive Dog

Pics
Here I believe that surgery is called ovary sparing spay and there’s a male version but I forget the name.

It’s not super common but is becoming somewhat more popular lately. There aren’t a lot of vets that can do it yet but more are becoming available.

The idea, especially with males, is leaving the hormones intact.

Dogs can have a lot of problems by being spayed or neutered too early including joint problems and more incidence of ACL injuries, etc. since the growth plates don’t close if it’s done too soon which is why altered dogs grow taller/lankier, etc. Hormones are essential for the growth plates closing on time and a lot of other functions so a lot more people are choosing to leave them in.

For many, the benefits outweigh the risks. I understand it’s not the same for everybody but it makes sense to me.

Personally though, I think I would rather just wait to alter the dog until later, like 18-24 months, and that would prevent most of the problems. I understand people wanting to spare them though. If you think about it, it’s not really natural to be missing them and humans have problems too when removed.

We’ve always fixed our pets though but after our last dog having tons of issues from it being done super early, I would never do it early again.

Back
Top Bottom