Suddenly lethargic BCM rooster - white spot on comb

_ashleyadams

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Saturday morning I went out to my coop to do my morning cleanings and my BCM rooster was sitting on the floor of the coop and he couldn’t hold his neck up.

I immediately grabbed him out of the coop took him inside and started on my little ICU. My fiancé fed him vitamin water while I was at work and when I came home I gave him a subcutaneous injection of fluids under his wing (I have a medical background). The next day he was still lethargic but definitely more alert and showed interest in taking fluids, however a lot of loose stools.

On day three he was able to hold his head up and eat and drink fluids unassisted stools more formed.

We’re on day 4 now and he’s pretty much back to normal. Still a little bit more tired than he usually would be but stools are back to normal, he’s alert and even grooming again

However, I noticed this white blister on his comb on Saturday night. The photo listed is from today (Tuesday). The blister hasn’t gotten worse. Hasn’t gotten better. I was concerned it was fowl pox but it hasn’t started to crust over and turn dark and there is only the one lesion. Could it possibly be an effect of dehydration and blister from the sun? The two days before Hansel got sick it was very hot and that’s the only thing I can contribute to his illness - heat exhaustion?

What do you chicken experts think?!

Attachments

• 3B05084D-9876-4B81-9B95-7E018CBE383B.jpeg
    3B05084D-9876-4B81-9B95-7E018CBE383B.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 45
Handsome guy!

Hard to tell if the blister is Fowl Pox or not. Since there's only one (for now?) then I'd be inclined to monitor for a few days and see what happens. You could paint it with Iodine if you wish.

Glad he's doing better. Heat exhaustion is very hard on them and it takes days to recover, it sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Handsome guy!

Hard to tell if the blister is Fowl Pox or not. Since there's only one (for now?) then I'd be inclined to monitor for a few days and see what happens. You could paint it with Iodine if you wish.

Glad he's doing better. Heat exhaustion is very hard on them and it takes days to recover, it sounds like you are doing all the right things.
Thank you! We just lost a bunch of our flock to a neighbors dog. So I was working hard to keep this big guy. Good idea with the iodine. I’ll try that today. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom