Suggestions on what to put in chicken run

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
I was looking for ideas on what to add into my chicken run. 4 ladies in a 100 by 25 chicken run. I have plants , dust bath and some logs and perches for them but I want to make sure they are entertained! Any advice would be appreciated!

Just a couple things we do.

We made teeter totters by putting a split log flat side down, then balanced a board on it. They love those especially if another chicken is on one side.

In the winter, we drill a hole in a cabbage and hang it where they can reach.

We made teeter totters by putting a split log flat side down, then balanced a board on it. They love those especially if another chicken is on one side.

Thank you so much for that teeter totter visual. It made me laugh!

And, to Coopcheney, it sounds like you've covered the basics: dirt/sand with plenty of grit, recreation, plants for shade and shelter (try patio umbrellas if they need more shade).

Logs are good perches, although they can sometimes attract ants and things if they are left outside too long, so we use cinder blocks. If your run is permanent, consider your soil type, and if you need to add some good-sized pebbles in order to keep down erosion and mud. Don't forget to provide enough drinking water, either. I'm sure your girls will love all that space and diversion!

Last edited:

I am picturing a chicken on one side and the. Another getting on the other side haha! That sounds amazing!!!!

Thank you so much for that teeter totter visual. It made me laugh!

And, to Coopcheney, it sounds like you've covered the basics: dirt/sand with plenty of grit, recreation, plants for shade and shelter (try patio umbrellas if they need more shade).

Logs are good perches, although they can sometimes attract ants and things if they are left outside too long, so we use cinder blocks. If your run is permanent, consider your soil type, and if you need to add some good-sized pebbles in order to keep down erosion and mud. Don't forget to provide enough drinking water, either. I'm sure your girls will love all that space and diversion!
Thank you! I do let them out only when I’m outside. We had some hawk around and I was not going to give them That opportunity to get one of my girls so my husband built a huge run. The two logs I have in there and a couple pieces of wood I make sure to dust with DE once a week but I want to make sure they are having fun!

A bale of hay or straw will be very entertaining. Something to stand on and peck at. Eventually, it'll fall apart and be just as entertaining as something to scratch through. Piles of leaves are good too. So are piles of weeds from the garden.

Things to get on top of are always great. It gives them a different view/perspective of their surroundings. Be sure they have enough room to get down. In other words, if the perch is 3 feet off the ground, they need about a 3 foot horizontal space to fly down, if they don't have a way to climb down.

A plastic chair is a fixture in my run until it gets cold. I turn it upside down when I'm not in the run. It's something to run under or perch on. I turn it right side up, and I have a clean chair to sit on. :)

Back
Top Bottom