Sunburnt turkey!? Advice/Ideas

PurelypoultryWww

Hatching
Aug 28, 2023
I have a young 3 month old broad breasted white turkey that i believe to of burnt in the sun (like the whole thing with a cat not moving from a heat pad too hot) the turkey never moved while sunning we woke her when found basking, burnt to heck out in the heat. Found Weezing, overheated, lethargic, peeling skin. (14 other turkeys are fine, some were panting, no others same condition as this one).

Since, have been giving electrolytes, cool rinses and dabbing cool cloth on skin.

Eyes were stuck shut and scabby, she was not drinking at 1st, now drinking, (barely) and can open eyes when moistened. Can't stand up right shabby, Does eat on own here n there.

Help please! Any advice or ideas?
- I Can attach pictures if needed soon

- Any signs of coughing, sneezing?
- What color is her head?
- normal, red? Yellowish? Darker than normal? Etc. boys are more “telling on that front IMexperience but it’s still a clue.
- Any sign of injury? Look carefully- neck, under her wings, vent area, everywhere.
....A fight, or a small predator, could cause a minor injury that could lead to a significant infection.
As could an untreated case of bumblefoot....
- Also check carefully for any signs of mites of any type.
Check some of the others as well for mites just to be sure.
- How is her poo?
- Is she drinking?

Any updates?

I have a young 3 month old broad breasted white turkey that i believe to of burnt in the sun (like the whole thing with a cat not moving from a heat pad too hot) the turkey never moved while sunning we woke her when found basking, burnt to heck out in the heat. Found Weezing, overheated, lethargic, peeling skin. (14 other turkeys are fine, some were panting, no others same condition as this one).

Since, have been giving electrolytes, cool rinses and dabbing cool cloth on skin.

Eyes were stuck shut and scabby, she was not drinking at 1st, now drinking, (barely) and can open eyes when moistened. Can't stand up right shabby, Does eat on own here n there.

Help please! Any advice or ideas?
- I Can attach pictures if needed soon
I wonder if this turkey died. OP never came back.

Died or recovered.... many people never come back to let us know.

All I take from the ghosting is, I don’t want that to be me- so I try to follow up so other people can learn in the future 😊

Back
Top Bottom