Sunflower Seeds/Meal worms good for chickens and how much?

Most black oilers I have seen are around 14% protein.
^^^ Because BOSS sacrifice protein for more fat (oil) content, and are used for production of sunflower oil and as bird feed ingredient, among other uses, while the higher protein (striped) seed whose numbers I mostly linked above has somewhat higher protein, and lower fat.

I have some interesting experience using live mealworms. On several occasions I, or my son, has provided underweight chicks with free-choice access to quality starter feed and live mealworms. The live mealworms are handily the preferred item. The live mealworms illicit a feeding response even when the complete feed does not. Even where the crop-fill is almost exclusively mealworms for several days, the chicks show no ill effects and put on weight rapidly. The problem is the prohibitive cost.

I have done some experiments feeding only one type of grain for a couple of days to observe impacts on feces of non-production birds. I have not seen any negative health impacts for the short periods of feeding only on type of grain for just a couple of days. This includes BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). Longer term, though is a no-no.

My problem with mixing sunflower seeds into the feed is that the chickens pick them out and waste the rest. Feeding both mealworms and sunflower seeds to the side makes easier calculations, anyway.

I'm sorry but it's not a healthy diet for your girls. it's nearly 60% fat, not accounting for the cat food. Fat isn't supposed to be above 7% It's like a steady diet of bacon cheese burgers, good protein but tremendous fat, it will work until it doesn't.
And yet they still get decent egg production. Maybe chickens are are resilient and adaptable.

They don’t just rollover and die when they don’t get commercial feed.

And yet they still get decent egg production. Maybe chickens are are resilient and adaptable.

They don’t just rollover and die when they don’t get commercial feed.
Everything works until it doesn't. Continuing your genetic line is the first priority of living things, it's going to take a lot for something to stop that.
You can make your own feed, but get a real recipe. Chickens gather fat internally, around the heart, livers etc, so high fat diets will cause organ failure and laying issues

BOSS are NOT 42% protein, not even if you are buying them shelled. The typical sunflower seed for human consumption, in a 30g serving is 14g fat, 5-6 g protein, 6 grams carbs and some other stuff. That's (very roughly) 45% fat, 14-16% protein, 16% carbs.

I am curious as to where you are sourcing your information.
Here is where I get mine.

You can also look here. and here. and here. and here and here. and here and a hundred other places I could link - and while they offer slightly different figures, they all agree on total protein nowhere near 42%. In the shell, the protein content is even less, and the fiber content goes way up.

Basically, there is no way you can mix the ingredients listed above to reach the 16% target minimum crude protein level recommended in the US for adult laying hens, and you certainly can't hit the desired amino acid targets. The EU has lower numbers, but you didn't mention adding L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, and poultry Nutribooster to ensure their vitamin and trace mineral needs are met.
Thank you.

The original poster seems to want to add sunflower seeds to a commercial feed.

My 25 pound bag of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, with shells, shows 15% protein and 25% fat.

If it is a good idea to add sunflower seeds probably depends on what you are feeding them already. The addition of sunflower seeds in a cold climate may make sense because of the extra oil, but you wouldn't give them much. I mix my own feed and I use BOSS because that is what is available in a 25 pound bag. You could use a type of sunflower seeds with a lower percentage of fat, if you can find them in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom