Super Soaked chicken coop floor after 4 days of rain

99HappyHens

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
Hi! Our family is new to posting on BYC.

We have 60 chickens housed in an open 8x20 coop with an adjoining 2000 square foot run. The coop is made up of 14 four foot panels. Four of the panels are open (welded wire) and the remaining panels are closed. The coop floor is dirt covered with sand and slanted (4 inches in 8 feet) toward the back of the coop. We have a tarped roof on the coop also.

Whenever it rains, we are unable to clean under the roosts for 2 days after the rain because the sand is so wet. We had rain for nearly 4 days straight (stopped raining today at noon). The coop floor is now a disaster. During this 4 days of rain, we keep the chicken door open to allow the water to flow out the back of the coop. There is no longer any standing water in the coop but the sand is extremely wet. Unfortunately, the area under the roosts cannot be cleaned because the sand is so wet.

We live in GA so we get a mix of mainly sunny/cloudy days and some rainy days. I am reconsidering whether the sand floor is the best for the chickens health since I can't clean it daily when it rains. Would the Deep Litter Method be a better solution?

Add more sand to build up the level so water does not pool there. You may need a considerable quantity like 2 yards. You may also consider pea gravel, It drains faster than sand, But I would try the sand first and go from there. . There are 101 ways to raise the level, What is best or easiest for you, only you would know. Also cost to consider. BEST WISHES

Hi! Our family is new to posting on BYC.

Whenever it rains, we are unable to clean under the roosts for 2 days after the rain because the sand is so wet. We had rain for nearly 4 days straight (stopped raining today at noon). The coop floor is now a disaster. During this 4 days of rain, we keep the chicken door open to allow the water to flow out the back of the coop.
Would the Deep Litter Method be a better solution?
You problem is not a cover problem it is a drainage problem Your top soil in my estimation is compiled with a lot of clay which impedes surface water from draining down into the water table. The easiest fix (if possible) is to relocate your coop into an elevated area on your property that remains dry.

In my area we have a product called taillings from the crush stone quarry that if you laid a base of say six to eight inches down to elevate and form a platform that should keep your run and coop area dry. The next best course of action is to install some sort of french drain or drainage well to disperse the water from where your chicken coop is located.

I had a simular problem.

Deep litter, as in 10 to 24 inches deep will work mainly by creating a "hill" in your coop.

Free wood chips worked for me, the carbon offsetting the nitrogen rich manure made great compost.

No mud, smells or flies...

Back
Top Bottom