Suspect coccidiosis

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
I have a 9 week old english bantam rooster that freeranges twice a day with his mates, who has not been himself since yesterday.

Yesterday evening i noticed he was perched much earlier than usual but didnt really pay attention.

This morning when i went to check up on the chicks, he seems to be puffed up, slow and generally not interested in running around like his other mates.

His comb is noticeably paler as well. However he is not closing his eyes and generally seems awake.

I have immediately isolated and fed some apple cider vinegar water to him and given some chick crumb.

In the isolation cage he has pooped and it is red. Which i suspect is coccidiosis. I have ordered coxoid which should arrive tomorrow and i would start treatment.

Any other tips or tricks in the meantime ? Poop pic attached as well.

Attachments

• 20230917_111625~2.jpg
    20230917_111625~2.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 63
Free-ranging chickens generally have built up their own resistance to coccidiosis, so it's rarer for free rangers to get it. Especially since you have others and only one is acting oddly.

That poop could be something else.
If you look at the poop pictures here, then scroll to Coral coloured Urates, that looks similar to me.

If you haven't given extra vitamins and probiotics lately, maybe it's going through something that some extra hydration or vitamins/minerals could help. I personally use Nutra Drench one day in the water, Hydro Hen the next day, fresh bottled water the next, then repeat for a couple of weeks.

I would not want to dissuade you from treating for cocci if you really believe that's what it is, though, as it can't hurt to treat that chick, but then I'd treat them all.

has not been himself since yesterday.
he seems to be puffed up, slow and generally not interested in running around like his other mates.
His comb is noticeably paler as well. However he is not closing his eyes and generally seems awake.

I have immediately isolated and fed some apple cider vinegar water to him and given some chick crumb.

In the isolation cage he has pooped and it is red. Which i suspect is coccidiosis. I have ordered coxoid which should arrive tomorrow and i would start treatment.

Any other tips or tricks in the meantime ? Poop pic attached as well.
The poop looks like it has quite a bit of mucous and the red is suspect.
Coupled with the poop and his behavior (puffed up, slow, not interested in interacting with the flock, pale comb, etc.) it would be a very good idea to begin treating him for Coccidiosis.

I would treat all the chicks.

Follow the dosing instructions on the Harker's Coxoid bottle to mix in the drinking water.

For the cockerel that is sick, I would provide him with the Mixed Coxoid water to drink, but also direct oral drench him once a day with undiluted Harker's Coxoid at a rate of 0.25ml per pound of weight for 3 days in a row. Remember, this is in addition to him drinking the mixed water as well. If he's not drinking, then you'll want to syringe the mixed water into him several times a day.

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide grit (insoluble grit/crushed granite) for your chicks?

Once you start the Harker's Coxoid, omit the ACV and do not add any Extra vitamins/supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to the water or feed until you finish the course of treatment.

If for some reason you are unable to get the Harker's Coxoid and start treating him immediately, provide him with white cooked rice mixed with a small amount of buttermilk to help coat and soothe the intestines.

So just went to lock up the chickens for the day and the chick in question is looking really bad. He has left 3 poops, 1 big and bloody, 1 small and bloody and 1 normal. I have attached pics below.

It seems he is grasping for air and is wheezing ever so slightly.

Waiting for the medicine to come tomorrow as i ordered it today, hope he makes it. I did try to feed him some egg yolk just now but it looks like i might have made him worse as the flapping has knocked him out now.

Looking like he is not going to make it. Eyes closed, very droopy and floppy but still breathing 😞

Attachments

• 20230917_190908~2.jpg
    20230917_190908~2.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230917_190831~2.jpg
    20230917_190831~2.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230917_190627~2.jpg
    20230917_190627~2.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 7
So just went to lock up the chickens for the day and the chick in question is looking really bad. He has left 3 poops, 1 big and bloody, 1 small and bloody and 1 normal. I have attached pics below.

It seems he is grasping for air and is wheezing ever so slightly.

Waiting for the medicine to come tomorrow as i ordered it today, hope he makes it. I did try to feed him some egg yolk just now but it looks like i might have made him worse as the flapping has knocked him out now.

Looking like he is not going to make it. Eyes closed, very droopy and floppy but still breathing 😞
I'm sorry! No, the poop doesn't look good at all:(
Is vet can an option at all?
He probably needs an antibiotic in addition to being treated for Coccidiosis.
A sulfa antibiotic will treat both.

Unfortunately i was too late, little guy didnt make it and when i went to check this morning, he had already passed away.

I am quite sad to see his condition deteriorate so much within the space of just 24 hours that he passed away.

@Wyorp Rock and @Debbie292d thanks a lot for your assistance supportive messages.

Back
Top Bottom