Suspected Respiratory Illness (possible MG) Running in the Flock (Brought on by Heat??)

I’m reading I’m the zoological site… if I’m understanding correctly they want a throat swab?

any idea how the testing works? I’m reading zoologix site and it sounds like a throat swab using a qtip will suffice?

Of course,I can call and ask them this silly question but hopefully someone can chime in and dumb it down for me.
I think they send you a test kit which includes all you need to do the swabs and send them back in.

We have a large flock (75+ birds) of varying ages, from 12 week - 3 years old. Recently, I had to cull a young pullet (first time ever) because she was suffering and getting severely bullied because of her faillure to thrive (after treating her for wry neck or a sudden vitamin deficiency). Now, a few days later, I've notice at least 4-5 chickens (a roo, two young pullets, and a couple layers) with eye bubbles, sneezing, wheezing, and a huge drop in weight overall.

I suspect the major heat stress took the one over, but I'd like to think that some of my birds may have been exposed to Mycoplasma, since it's so contagious, earlier this year (after rescuing some older hens). Hindsight is 20/20 but culling the whole flock is not an option.

Started treating the few with bubbles with Terramycin ointment in their eyes, today, after rinsing with saline. Tomorrow, I'm starting with colloidal silver in their water but I'm unsure of the dosage to treat the whole flock. I have a 2-gallon waterer, a 5-gallon waterer, and several 1-gallon waterers around the run for them to have access to water in different zones. Advice on the dosage?? In tbsp per gallon preferred!

Also, any other advice (good, bad or otherwise), is welcome! My goal is to have a steady supply of farm fresh eggs for our family and our customers, then having 6-8 flocks of birds specifically for breeding to hatch chicks and sell fertile eggs. I'm not going down the NPIP path until getting things right with our flock, and couldn't in good faith start sending eggs out until an actual confirmation/test - but fear the state or ag would force me to cull the whole flock if one of two confirmed MG.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance!!
How did thing turn out for you?

So we never had necropsies done (wasn’t in the budget) however we had a severe case of mites and lice that we treated for, as well as deworming, combined with treatment for MG and all seems to have settling down. There’s always wild birds near our woods and home so I’m sure that’s where the issue stemmed from. Still, chickens are so stoic!

Back
Top Bottom