Swan information and questions

Cstone01

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
Hello, we have just bought a 17 acre property. I would eventually like to put a pair of swans (or 2) on the property. As a child we had a pair of mutes but left them when we sold the property. My mother was in charge of their care and had since passed away. One pond is just shy of 2 acres in the back of the property with a dock and fountain (not sure if this will scare them).
The front pond is on the large size of a half acre.

we are in no rush, may add birds next spring. I was looking for some good resources, maybe a book. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a pair of mutes on one pond and black Australians on the other.

I was also wondering if there is a way to keep Swans on their pond. The people who sold our property sold off 20 acres separately from from the land with the house we bought on it, and there is a 1 acre pond on that property that is nearly in visual rage of our 1/2 acre pond. I’ve not spoken with the owner. I believe they plan on eventually building a home.

is there anyway to keep the swans from walking to the larger pond and would that insult most land owners?(if our swans decided to sit on their pond sometimes)

thanks in advance. I’m sure I have a lot more research to do!

Last edited:
I fenced my whole pond in with 2" x 4" x 5' works great . If there is another pond in walking distance they will walk . I have three , I have had two for many years the third one is their cygnet that is of breeding next season .

Hello, we have just bought a 17 acre property. I would eventually like to put a pair of swans (or 2) on the property. As a child we had a pair of mutes but left them when we sold the property. My mother was in charge of their care and had since passed away. One pond is just shy of 2 acres in the back of the property with a dock and fountain (not sure if this will scare them).
The front pond is on the large size of a half acre.

we are in no rush, may add birds next spring. I was looking for some good resources, maybe a book. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a pair of mutes on one pond and black Australians on the other.

I was also wondering if there is a way to keep Swans on their pond. The people who sold our property sold off 20 acres separately from from the land with the house we bought on it, and there is a 1 acre pond on that property that is nearly in visual rage of our 1/2 acre pond. I’ve not spoken with the owner. I believe they plan on eventually building a home.

is there anyway to keep the swans from walking to the larger pond and would that insult most land owners?(if our swans decided to sit on their pond sometimes)

thanks in advance. I’m sure I have a lot more research to do!
Check out grandswanfarm.com. I would be happy to answer any, and all, your questions:)

Back
Top Bottom