Swollen Backside

sophielucidojohnson

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2019
Hi Team,

My girl has a swollen backside, which implies to me that she's got an egg stuck in there. Anything I can or should do? I lost a chicken earlier this year because of a distended oviduct that ended up getting necrotic and developing maggots. I just want to make her life comfortable and figure out the best path forward. I've attached an image.

Thank you,
Sophie
IMG_7365.JPG

Lemme guess. Some sort of red producer?
Oh boy. Honesty, here I come.
Golden comets. I will never own them, no matter how many eggs they lay nor how sweet they are. Because I can’t deal with their issues.
Golden Comets (aka ISA Browns, RIRs, RSLs, Golden Buffs, Brown shavers, Red Stars, and so many more) are bred to produce so many eggs. So many that they just....well, I’ll get to that part.
See, with production like that, sooner or later, something goes wrong. It may be a one or five time issue, but...it usually isn’t. I’ve read too many heartbreaking and depressing threads about people trying to save them from their reproductive issues, and failing. Sometimes you can. but mostly...you can’t. They suddenly decline, start laying soft eggs or wrinkly ones or lash eggs. Or something. It’s always something. Between the age of 1-3 years, usually. They are egg-bound, lay eggs into the abdominal cavity, or shut down production altogether.
Then they slowly decline...and usually die.
I don’t mean to be horrible and depressing and doomsdayish and stuff. But I think people should be informed.
Certain vets can administer something that shuts down the reproductive tract if the hen starts to go sideways.
Yours may just be having a little fluke, and she may be one of the ones who lives out her years doing fine.
If you think she’s egg bound (egg stuck in her) look up how to tell and how to treat it.
Good luck!

I hope you update us on how she does.
All your other threads you posted then never responded when people tried to help.

Back
Top Bottom