Swollen crop

KHoward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Boston
Hi,
I have a hen who has had a very swollen crop for about 5 days now. About 3 days ago, I started massaging the crop, and two days ago I started administering a tablespoon of olive oil at morning and night when I massage it. It feels like potters clay and I massage it for about a minute. At night it has been as big as a softball but reduces to the size of a baseball in the morning.

She is eating and moving around the yard. She free ranges so she has access to plenty of greens, bugs, grit, etc. and there is always pellets and fresh water available.

Are there any other suggestions?
A vet visit is not possible.

Update: I started with olive oil and switched to mineral oil. Same result. Larger at night, smaller in the morning but definitely still swollen and firm. I have been massaging all around the crop, and then finish by massaging the contents upward.

Today I will try Dulcolax.

Doughy crop is usually a sign that the crop is dehydrated. It can be from a blockage or illness that has slowed down digestion. If she's acting normal, then illness is less likely. When I've had doughy crop, I do the oil first, then syringe about 4-5ml of water. If you haven't orally syringed water before, go slow so she doesn't aspirate. I usually hold the beak open and squirt 0.5 ml at a time into the bottom beak under the tongue. Then let her swallow it. Once you've filled her up with water, give her crop a 5 minute massage. Don't go too hard with it, you don't want to bruise her. I do this 2x per day until it's resolved. I've had it take over a week, so be patient. Good luck.

Quick update: For several days I tried the stool softener and warm water followed by a massage. It seemed to break up some of the mass in her crop, and the mass was always smaller in the morning, but the mass never really went away.

Unfortunately, the chicken didn't make it.

Quick update: For several days I tried the stool softener and warm water followed by a massage. It seemed to break up some of the mass in her crop, and the mass was always smaller in the morning, but the mass never really went away.

Unfortunately, the chicken didn't make it.
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes there's an underlying condition and there's not much you can do, but it sounds like you did your best to help her. Chickens are really good at hiding their illnesses. I spend a lot of time with my birds, but I've found they often hide it until its too late.

Back
Top Bottom