Swollen eyes

jcomp

Chirping
Oct 19, 2022
Last week I noticed our RIR with a funky eye. I kept an eye on it. It got worse. Originally her eye swelled above the eyelid. We assumed she was peaked because her and the other two we have (all 10 weeks old) play like goofballs, and I had noticed one (the roo) had peaked at her in the face. Well, the very next day the swelling looked far worse and her whole eye looked like it was drooping. So, I removed her to treat her and heal. It looked like the swelling was either extending past her eye or she had fluid draining from the swelling. I don’t know which. This is my first time owning chickens. Today, I noticed the other starting to look a bit off. Now, I don’t know what to think or what is going on. I’ve been using Vetericyn Plus and Terramyin (operating on the chance that it is infected). I’ve only used this combo for two days now. I believe the first eye is slightly less puffy. Her eye isn’t as sunken back. She has Zero other symptoms and has been acting normal. Eating normal. Running and flapping her wings just fine. Poop is normal, too.
The closest avian vet is an hour from me. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m also interested in learning anything you have to offer. I only have the best intentions for this hen. Unfortunately, books can only offer you so much in preparation for chicken owning :/

Attachments

• B0D603EE-1963-4C80-A086-F5CE66CDF008.jpeg
    B0D603EE-1963-4C80-A086-F5CE66CDF008.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 19
  • DDEE1963-D9B3-4F16-BE48-48ADD75DC1C2.jpeg
    DDEE1963-D9B3-4F16-BE48-48ADD75DC1C2.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 27295283-6BA3-42A2-AEAB-58A51F3368D9.jpeg
    27295283-6BA3-42A2-AEAB-58A51F3368D9.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 5
Welcome To BYC

Hard to know what's causing it, but if you have another that is now beginning to show similar symptoms, likely you are dealing with respiratory infection.

Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are 2 of the more common diseases that affect poultry.
You can try treating symptoms with an antibiotic. Tylan50 would be a good choice. Dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

I'd continue to clean the eye with saline or the vetericyn and apply the Terramycin in the eye. Do press out of remove any pus that is in the eye.

See that they have plenty of ventilation in their coop, that bedding is dry and there's no mold/mildew.

I'm sorry that you face this.

Here's some reading about poultry diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

Welcome To BYC

Hard to know what's causing it, but if you have another that is now beginning to show similar symptoms, likely you are dealing with respiratory infection.

Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are 2 of the more common diseases that affect poultry.
You can try treating symptoms with an antibiotic. Tylan50 would be a good choice. Dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

I'd continue to clean the eye with saline or the vetericyn and apply the Terramycin in the eye. Do press out of remove any pus that is in the eye.

See that they have plenty of ventilation in their coop, that bedding is dry and there's no mold/mildew.

I'm sorry that you face this.

Here's some reading about poultry diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044
Greatly appreciate your reply. So far the other two chicks’ eyes are fine, but I am definitely keeping my eyes and ears open for breathing and nasal discharge. I will be adding more ventilation holes today seeing as it’s a TSC coop we purchased. They only moved in maybe two weeks ago. Will be more diligent about examining for mildew/mold. I did order tylan last night just in case. There’s no visible puss, but would there be puss under the surface that needs to come out? Or would the tylan take care of that?

Back
Top Bottom