Taking away two chicks from momma hen

I see, and I'm not a very good person to say how long the mother will protect them for.
In my flock, they all go together as so as the mother leaves the nesting box. The mother hens never seem to keep other hens away, but the other hens never hurt the chicks.
The rooster helps look after the chicks, calling them for snacks, and keeping and eye on them.
This is just how it works in my flock.
What I would do, is try letting them all out together, and see what happens.
Be ready to step in if the other hens start being mean to the chicks. If it doesn't work out, then maybe taking the two chicks to be with your other chicks is the way to go.
You say they are 2 weeks old, and some mothers ween the chicks at 3, so she might not mind to much.
Wonderful advice! I will do exactly that. Thank you. 😊

So maybe I could take them and she wouldn’t be too upset. That’s my fear... she is a “rescue” hen and doesn’t even lay eggs. I just saw how bad she wanted to be a mom.
Maybe i’m just heartless but I feel like she’d get over it and forget about them quick enough. I’ve never thought twice about it. :idunno

Maybe i’m just heartless but I feel like she’d get over it and forget about them quick enough. I’ve never thought twice about it. :idunno
When our goats lost a kid, they would call for at least a good few days.
I don't have any reason to think that mother hens are any different, and my personal opinion is that if they have sat there for 3 weeks they deserve to raise them.
However I quite understand that in some circumstances the best thing is to remove them, and as long as there's a good reason for it thats good by me.

Back
Top Bottom