Taking chicks from a broody?

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I don't have a incubater. Would it be mean to let a broody hatch em and take them as day olds? Or even take them out as soon as they've pipped? Because I love all over your lap chicks, and I want to raise them myself, and I feel if I leave it to a broody, they won't think I'm the mother (jealous, jealous!). Would that be too mean? I know it's easier to let the broody do it, but I love taking care of chicks!

Yes you can take chicks away from a broody hen. Depending on the clutch size you may be able to take some and leave her with a few.

I agree, depending on how many she has, you should leave her at least a few and take 2-3 for yourself. No way I could take all her babies away, seems selfish. But even if you take just 2 of them, you could spend more time with each chick than if you took all of them and those 2 chicks will grow up being very tame and close to you. This closeness may also be effected by which breed you're referring to. Some breeds never become cuddly no matter what you do. Keep us posted...

I let my broody keep all of them and they are much more people friendly than I would have thought. They take their cues from momma and are not afraid of us at all. They know we have treats-momma taught them that early so they already eat out of our hands. Of course someone in the family is out there a bunch during the day so that helps I am sure.
Bonus with broody raising them is how quick they are integrated and how well they are doing with no mess
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom