Talk to me about your dual purpose coop schedule

We tried having dual purpose: white Plymouth Rock of a line that were good sized, meant for laying or for eating. Size was great, definitely attained a nice size by the 14-16 week mark. We kept 3 females for the flock and they are 16 months old and a very good size, and good layers. However, once they hit about 10-12 weeks, it was a bit tortuous to hear them crowing all the time, and bullying some away from feed (so extra management with that). Some got aggressive with us too.
If you are willing to butcher smaller chickens, and just do more of them, you can skip that stage.

But yes, I agree with the points you make in favor of Cornish Cross, and I agree it is worth considering other breeds if any specific one is not a good fit for the particular person raising them (speed of growth, amount of meat, stage of maturity, etc.)

I used to hatch out a batch every late winter/early spring, using an incubator, trying to time it so they would be laying before winter. Am set up to add a temporary wall in the coop, with a separate run, to brood the chicks. Integrated them in to the flock by ~6 weeks. I would slaughter the cockerels by ~14weeks, just before they started causing hormonal chaos. Then before winter set in I would slaughter the older hens to get the numbers down for the space I had for winter housing(18-20 birds). I usually had 3 age groups in the flock, the youngest laying all winter(if lucky). I did use supplemental lighting.

Most the birds I cooked were done in the pressure cooker, producing broth and meat for various recipes. The cockerel were tender enough to grill for crispy skinned deliciousness.

Not sure if you've eaten a layer breed chicken before, but they are not like a chicken bought from the grocery store in either amount of meat and tenderness.

Overall, we were not sold on the dual purpose for meat. We typically get Cornish X in the fall, to butcher at 7-8 weeks. We occasionally butcher other males now and again. We tried a spring batch of Cornish X, but the flies! Everywhere! The heat! The smell! We prefer butchering in cooler temps of the fall and we then vacuum seal and freeze. Oh, and if you have to put the organs, feathers in the trash …. Make sure to butcher the day or two BEFORE trash gets picked up, not the day after.. :sick

We've done CornishX and honestly I wasn't sold on them. I didn't care for the meat. I am hoping going more heritage it'll be better.

But, using dual purpose birds, I’d focus on some breeds known for good meat.
We went with barred rocks. I am anxious and excited to see how this goes. I feel like everyone (between 12 and 18wks) is of decent size. But we will see come butcher day.

Good luck with your endeavors.
Thanks so much!!!

I used to hatch out a batch every late winter/early spring, using an incubator, trying to time it so they would be laying before winter. Am set up to add a temporary wall in the coop, with a separate run, to brood the chicks. Integrated them in to the flock by ~6 weeks. I would slaughter the cockerels by ~14weeks, just before they started causing hormonal chaos. Then before winter set in I would slaughter the older hens to get the numbers down for the space I had for winter housing(18-20 birds). I usually had 3 age groups in the flock, the youngest laying all winter(if lucky). I did use supplemental lighting.

Most the birds I cooked were done in the pressure cooker, producing broth and meat for various recipes. The cockerel were tender enough to grill for crispy skinned deliciousness.

Not sure if you've eaten a layer breed chicken before, but they are not like a chicken bought from the grocery store in either amount of meat and tenderness.
Thank you!
I am excited to try the meat!!!
We tried Cornish and I wasn't a fan at all....I know that's like the thing...and cost effective...but I just didn't care for it.

We just slaughtered a heritage hog (not the same ...) but it definitely made me excited to try to heritage chicken.

I will have to see how the flock rotation goes....I think having layers for winter is a solid idea....

I have no set age for culling hens.
I will cull them whenever I no longer like them, or they don't have a place in my flock.
For example, I have one hen which throws lovely chicks, so even when she doesn't lay so many eggs I will keep her, as I want to be able to hatch them.
Or, if a hen is an extra good broody, then even if she doesn't lay, that is a good enough reason to keep her.
If they don't have anything particularly good about them, then I will cull when they don't lay eggs, or, even before that if they are a good example of the breed, or fit in with my goals.
Do you have a rooster in your flock? Or in other words, will you be hatching your own replacements?
I do, and like a flock of all different ages, so would never cull them all at once. If you are going to buy all your replacements, then that might not work so well, in which case what I wouldn't work.
I, too cull an (older) bird by either its attitude or behavioral issue is a problem or it stopped laying, so it's a logical decision not age. Unfortunately, their runs had ample space as fledgelings but are just a bit crowded at 14 weeks with 4 pullets, 1 roo and 2 16m hens, and 2 RiRs@14w. One 16 m old hen has proven to be very scary for the 'newbies' and may get stewed much sooner than I had initially 'scheduled'... after this week's disastrous integration. She trounced the Smokey Pearl, newbie Mr Roo that his feathers got stuck on her claws, yanked in a flurry squawking and him frantically escaping for any hidey hole away from her beak. HE immediately reversed his role as aggressor to seeking my protection! It was not anything fun to see or I expected. I was forced to hang close to the run for fear I'd need to rescue him or the young pullets. I told my husband, she obviously does NOT want him as a mate! Not funny.
Now, my reason to cull him is solely not to have future chicks (I don't have the time or space) because he is just now learning to protect and gather the four newbies like a nice roo. Not sure what to do yet...
Guess my point is, don't overthink the culling schedule unless of course it's a source of income you're expected to maintain. I'm expecting a few good meals from mine, but as far as schedule, I'm flying by the seat of m'pants! lol

Back
Top Bottom