Tell me about Guinea hens, can I put the hens only into my chicken flock for protection?

mjplay

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2021
I have 2 roosters but we've had 2 hens killed by hawks and numerous near misse. One attack I was able to intervene, only to have her attacked and killed 2 days ago(4 months from her first attack.
I've read that guineas can provide protection but my question is, can I just get guinea Hens for protection? Since I have 2 roosters, I doubt they'd get along with the males.
Right now I'm keeping them closed in for the most part but they are used to free range our 4 acres(and then some). The 2 roosters grew up together but the bigger one is not the lead rooster and he gets hassled a lot. He just wants out of there. I'm glad we have roosters that we are comfortable around (don't attack me) but they don't fight the hawks. They run and hide.

Don't know a great deal about guineas. I know the females sound like they saying joe clark and the cockerel same sound over and over .Brother I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it them guinea's ganged up and killed a fame

Hi! I know it’s been awhile but your post popped up on my similar. I do not suggest Guineas for protection. They will alert you but not protect. They are also known to attack chickens (I have personally had this problem) especially any new ones you add in the future. Free ranging with guineas is also difficult… they wander far, it’s hard to get them to come in at night, a lot of times they end up high in a tree, & they are easy prey birds.

https://thefreerangelife.com/5-reasons-not-to-own-guinea-fowl/

I suggest reading this before considering them, if it still sounds like they are for you… go for it!

Back
Top Bottom