Telling a Silkies gender

ChuckenWing

Songster
Mar 19, 2021
Crowing from Australia
33EEE432-20AF-43AD-B887-55ED26B922B7.jpeg
you Can see that Back claw idk if it shows in the picture but this method is Very reliable 95percent works on silkies only but not if there crossbred,A female back claw of a chicken goes up and a male one goes down,What’s the use of this you ask? The rooster uses it to fight while the female has it to dig,And a male silkie would have a Big wattle and will make low pitch sounds when speaking to other chickens,Did you know that chickens are Dinosaurs? I got this picture from safari

View attachment 2832728you Can see that Back claw idk if it shows in the picture but this method is Very reliable 95percent works on silkies only but not if there crossbred,A female back claw of a chicken goes up and a male one goes down,What’s the use of this you ask? The rooster uses it to fight while the female has it to dig,And a male silkie would have a Big wattle and will make low pitch sounds when speaking to other chickens,Did you know that chickens are Dinosaurs? I got this picture from safari
Sorry, I have not found this to be true. Speaking from my own personal experience only. I agree they are dinosaurs though!🤣
B4050D7D-6A5E-4064-B211-53B00A2838D5.jpeg

There are many good articles here on BYC that give useful information. It is not an exact science and does take sometimes years of experience. Even then it’s not 100%! If you are ever in doubt about the gender of your birds, you can always post them in the “what breed or gender is this“ forum. Anything under three months of age is really going to be a crapshoot. At around four months of age you can be more certain but even then it is still not 100%!😊
Some boys will present themselves early, especially in the hatchery quality birds. Because I’m currently on my phone I’m not able to copy and paste the link for you, but if you check under articles under “sexing silkies“ you will find several.

Back
Top Bottom