Temperature Moderating Problems

Jun 18, 2023
Hello,
I searched the threads and cannot find anything similar. I have a young pullet, around 4 or 5 months. In August, she had heat distress. I honestly did not think she would pull through. She made it, but every time it got over 95*F after that, she would lay around panting.

Now, we are heading into the cold weather. She is showing signs of shivering in 30*F weather. She is the only one like this. She is not thin, no mites, seems to be okay otherwise.

Is there anything that would cause a hen to have problems moderating their temperatures? I want to figure out what will help her before we are in the below 0*F temps.

Thank you!

How are her poops looking? Does she stand are pound puffed up? Is she eating normally, with her crop filling up by late in the day, then emptying by early morning? Is she feathered out well, and looking well nourished. Is she low in pecking order?

How are her poops looking? Does she stand are pound puffed up? Is she eating normally, with her crop filling up by late in the day, then emptying by early morning? Is she feathered out well, and looking well nourished. Is she low in pecking order?
I am unsure of her poops, she is in the coop with everyone else. Maybe I will pull her in for a day or two to really narrow that down.

She is low on the pecking order. She has a friend and they hang around each other daily. The friend is the same age, but doesn't have any of the same symptoms.

She is feathered out well and looks good. Her comb/wattles are a good pink color.

I appreciate all of the questions. I will pull her in tonight and try to narrow down some of these.

Back
Top Bottom