Testing the Brooder Temperature/chicks coming this week/few questions~

motoclown

Songster
9 Years
May 27, 2010
New Castle, PA
Testing our brooder out.
We are getting 30 peeps from Meyers Hatchery this week.
1.Wondering what is the average temperature of the brooder should be?
Brooder is inside. Bulb is red and 250watts.
Measures 40"x27", we will be adding on to make it longer as the chicks grow.
2.Should we be measuring the floor temp or up higher?
3.And will we get a proper reading from this hanging thermometer if it is laid down flat or
should we hang it or get another one ........?

I realize that it is not an exact science and that we will be adjusting to our situation.

58800_brooder.jpg

You want to start off at about 90 and drop that 5 degrees each week. This is just a guide though. Go by how your chicks are acting. If they are peeping loudly or piling up they are too cold. If they are as far away from the heat and panting they are too hot. The placement of your thermometer is just fine. I started out using a 250 watt heat lamp with my 1st batch of chicks and have gradually lowered the wattage. My current batch is 1.5 weeks old and under a 13 watt compact flourscent buld in a 65 degree house. I never would have tried that bulb but the old one blew when I wasn't home and this is what DH replaced it with. Since my chicks seem perfectly happy I am leaving it that way. Good luck with you babies
smile.png

Start your brooder at an ambiant temp of 95 degrees. Lay your thermometer on the floor of the brooder or, if you can, about an inch or two up (level with the chicks' heads). If you have two thermometers, measure the temp beneath the heat lamp and at the area furthest away. Make sure they have room to get away from the heat if they find it too hot. Each week after the first, lower the temp by 5 degrees until it's about 70 degrees. You may need a lamp at night if you let your house drop down while the humans sleep (assuming your brooder is inside your house!). 125s should work fine by then. Good luck!

I make it 105 under the light and put it at one end like you did. I let them come and go as they please from the heat to self-regulate. I put a small (6x6") box under the light on one side for a warm 'Mommy box' that stays at about 100 and allows them a dark place to congregate or sleep.

Works well for me!

As time goes on, I raise the lamp. It's really warmer under it so they can choose what's best and not be too cold.

Read this to find out how to tell if it's right for your chicks, since that's really what's important, not what the thermometer says.

Also: a Momma chicken is over 100 degrees- that's why we should start around there and decrease as time goes on by about 5 degrees each week, but you MUST let your chicks tell you what their comfort level is- if they sleep standing up and are loud, or have mucky bums, they're too cold!

Last edited:
It can be difficult to accurately measure brooder temperature when using radiant heat sources such as bulbs. The temperature they actually feel on their skins can be much higher than what the thermometer is showing.

I much prefer to watch the behavior of the chicks to determine if they are too hot or cold.

This is basically what you should be looking for:

diagram%205.jpg

If they are not happy they'll let you know.

A.T. Hagan :

It can be difficult to accurately measure brooder temperature when using radiant heat sources such as bulbs. The temperature they actually feel on their skins can be much higher than what the thermometer is showing.

I much prefer to watch the behavior of the chicks to determine if they are too hot or cold.

This is basically what you should be looking for:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_SxFfd4HLezA/TRDcHJd_2gI/AAAAAAAABSk/4wWqddl7aMc/diagram 5.jpg

If they are not happy they'll let you know.

smile.png
Love the diagram!! Thanks!!​

Thanks for all of the replies, I have been keeping my eye one them and adjusting for day and night, hot or cold.

My peeps are here 32 arrived from Meyers Hatchery on Tuesday the 1st.
12 Barred Rocks-12 Black Australorps-6 RIRs.

Went to TSC Wednesday to pick up a ball hitch, came home with the last 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes,
didn't get the part we needed but got chicks...lol

Working on Doubling the brooder next.

58800_brooder38chicks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom