The caring and keeping of a blind duck?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
Sigh, sorry best way i can start this.... greatly concerned my few year old call duck female is completely blind. She was brutally attacked by a coon , i managed to save three birds but one later on died, the other one is recovering well but wants noting to do with her(i am currently caging both in my house for care)

I have had(and still do) dealt with the loss of an eye, those birds recovered well and returned to the flocks. However IF their is sight left in her remaining eye it is minimal at best.

How do i care for this bird? They are flock animals i don't want her alone but what do you do? I do still own some calls but they are my other breeding males(penned separate) and another trio(also penned elsewhere) that are new blood from last year, she doesn't really know any of these birds. Her flock is dead. (this was my female pen)

In a odd twist however i do have her babies from the previous year(also penned elsewhere) but would she recall them? all the birds are in the same in general area but not housed side by side so not near the larger pen she was kept in.

Basically looking for advice and how to care, house and just in general handle this, i feel so badly for her .

I have had(and still do) dealt with the loss of an eye, those birds recovered well and returned to the flocks. However IF their is sight left in her remaining eye it is minimal at best.

How do i care for this bird? They are flock animals i don't want her alone but what do you do? I do still own some calls but they are my other breeding males(penned separate) and another trio(also penned elsewhere) that are new blood from last year, she doesn't really know any of these birds. Her flock is dead. (this was my female pen)

In a odd twist however i do have her babies from the previous year(also penned elsewhere) but would she recall them? all the birds are in the same in general area but not housed side by side so not near the larger pen she was kept in.

Basically looking for advice and how to care, house and just in general handle this, i feel so badly for her .
I think she is unlikley to recognize babies from last year, but she can still forge a new relationship with them if they let her join them.
There are plenty of blind animals leading happy lives and I suspect a blind duck can too. Give her a chance -- but ensure that her environment is safe for her. For example, to begin with, I would only let her into a kiddie pool with supervision so you can be certain she can get out.

My best advice is to giver her the chance and see how she does with her last year's offspring

Once they recover I'd start by gradually introducing her to the other Calls. It will take time for her to adjust and everyone to accept each other but it will happen. I even saw some years back where a member had a blind duck and one of her other ducks had taken to this one and stayed with it at all times. Hopefully she'll do fine with extra care and protection. Very sorry to hear this happened. I have a blind in one eye Muscovy and she has adjusted very well. Of course being able to still see out of one eye is better than being completely blind but it still took her a while to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom