The chicken that refuses to lay!

Zoohtasim

Crowing
Jun 7, 2021
Hey everyone, so the title really says it all. I have this chicken, about 9 months old, who just, doesn't lay. Like, in January, she laid her first peewee egg as per schedule. 2 more followed. Then she went broody. Broody like, PROPER broody. Extremely broody. I can't describe how broody she went. She was like a 5 year old chicken going broody for the millionth time, THAT broody. It broke about 15ish days later. After that? No eggs. None. She laid 0 eggs after that. But she goes broody monthly? Like girl what? So that's the thing. I just wanna know, is this a genetic thing with her and she's just a horrible chicken for laying? Her mom and siblings lay pretty well, only she is the odd one out. And maybe sometime if I set some eggs under her, will she be able to be a good mum or will it be irresponsible of me? Either ways, I just love her! A very pretty coat and sweet personality! Thanks guys!

Okayyy, thanks!
It's possible this one bird is eating too much junk or scraps and not getting a balanced diet which will cause problems.

I would just eliminate things that can cause problems and feeding anything that takes away from them getting a balanced diet is a problem.

It's possible this one bird is eating too much junk or scraps and not getting a balanced diet which will cause problems.
I dont think that's possible at all because the kitchen scraps are usually very small in amount and the mean/old gals usually gobble them up. This one being at the extreme end of the pecking order, shouldn't be getting much scraps.

Back
Top Bottom