The craziest/scariest thing happened.

CharmingChickens

🦜🦃🐓🦢🦆Started with chickens now has an army 🦆🦢🐓🦃🦜
Apr 30, 2023
Maine
I have two parakeets, Greenbean and Milky
8F7EC723-FD3D-4902-8DA3-CD4747CDC0E8.jpeg

I put them in their travel cage outside, half in the sun and half in the shade so they can choose. My mother came out of nowhere and told me we were going to drop something I made off. So I wanted to come. I forgot to move my parakeets completely in the shade so I called my younger sister and told her to move them completely in the shade so they don’t overheat. She said okay. 5 minutes later we got a call back from her. She was crying saying “I dropped the cage and they escaped!” I kinda freaked out and we immediately went home. Milky (the white one) is such a sweet boy I didn’t want to lose him. I was a lot less worried to find when we got home only Greenbean had escaped. Greenbean has never been a friendly bird she always bit me and never liked me but I still love her. I didn’t want her to suffer like that. I’d assumed if I didn’t catch her somehow she would be either eaten by a predator, she’d starve to death, or die from the elements. So what I did was I brought their large Main cage outside with milky In it, and put the travel cage open on top with millet in it hoping that she would get hungry and enter then I sneak around and shut the door. That day she never came. We heard her chirping but she eventually flew across the road in some trees. I had to bring milky inside since it was getting dark. I pretty much lost hope I didn’t think she would survive the night, especially when I heard an owl that night. But to my surprise this morning I heard her chirping. So I once again brought milky with his cage out and did the same technique as yesterday. He was chirping like crazy but I rarely heard her reply. She knew he was there I assumed she was too scared to get on lower ground. Since she escaped I haven’t seen her once. I’ve only heard her. It’s now 1:30 pm and our 6ish week old chicks escaped! So I went up to their coop to catch them, when I looked over at milky and I saw Greenbean above him on a branch! I walked closer and waited. I waited for her to fly down, go in the travel cage and eat the millet. Since she must be starving by now. Right when I saw her enter the cage i got so exited and nervous I was shaking and breathing heavily I really didn’t want to mess this up. I specifically put the cage next to the adult chicken coop so if she entered I could run around the coop where she can’t see me, and quickly shut the cage. And that’s what I did.. and it worked! I am so happy! Milky was happy too! Reunited! She’s going to now dislike her life since she’s experienced freedom! I am just so happy I was able to catch her. Having a pet bird fly away is scary, but I really hate clipping their wings. Lesson learned DONT forgot to move the cage out of the half sun and shade, and don’t ask your sister to do move it. it could end terribly thankfully I had a good ending!
5FD7FDCE-9A4F-4917-A7B4-028A1F8DB174.jpeg

Naughty girl after I caught her

Attachments

• 76E99487-25C7-4C96-8E8A-AB3B2D169BED.jpeg
    76E99487-25C7-4C96-8E8A-AB3B2D169BED.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom