The danger of supressing rooster crowing

hugho

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Jackson Wyoming
I thought I'd pass along an important tip to avoid harm to your rooster through the use of "rooster tamers" or similar neck collars. We acquired 2 Icelandic roosters to our Icelandic flock a year ago but the dawn crowing was a bit much for my wife. Web research mentioned collars for the boys and I ended up using a velcro collar which did the trick and quieted them down well. Thet were able to eat and drink and the crowing volume decreased markedly. I found one of the roosters dead in the coop a month ago and wondered if the collar might have caused the problem. The other rooster seemed OK but a week ago our ever watchful alert 6 yr old grandson fetched me to look at the rooster because he thought something was wrong. Indeed he was correct. The rooster was drooling and slow moving and easy to catch. He also seemed to have lost weight and looked poorly and had no fight in him. I removed the velcro collar. It was snug but not tight. He looked like he might die but I fed him xtra treats and watched him gradually improve. Amazingly he now rarely crows at dawn. I now realize that the collar was the cause and it probably was the cause of the demise of our other rooster. These collars may work on loud crowing but they have significant danger. Be careful out there!!

Thank you for posting this!!!

I have been seeing a trend of people using these collars or making their own collars. They claim that they're not hurting their roosters or whatnot, but I knew somebody would come forward and talk about their experience with them and the harm that they can do!

I wrote a thread called "Venting About Roosters", It's a featured thread and I would like to quote you in it if that is okay...

I thought I'd pass along an important tip to avoid harm to your rooster through the use of "rooster tamers" or similar neck collars. We acquired 2 Icelandic roosters to our Icelandic flock a year ago but the dawn crowing was a bit much for my wife. Web research mentioned collars for the boys and I ended up using a velcro collar which did the trick and quieted them down well. Thet were able to eat and drink and the crowing volume decreased markedly. I found one of the roosters dead in the coop a month ago and wondered if the collar might have caused the problem. The other rooster seemed OK but a week ago our ever watchful alert 6 yr old grandson fetched me to look at the rooster because he thought something was wrong. Indeed he was correct. The rooster was drooling and slow moving and easy to catch. He also seemed to have lost weight and looked poorly and had no fight in him. I removed the velcro collar. It was snug but not tight. He looked like he might die but I fed him xtra treats and watched him gradually improve. Amazingly he now rarely crows at dawn. I now realize that the collar was the cause and it probably was the cause of the demise of our other rooster. These collars may work on loud crowing but they have significant danger. Be careful out there!!

The part that was a concern for me was when I went to the website for one of the more popular crow collars - the website cautions NOT to feed pelleted feed if they are wearing the collar. To me that was a big warning should I ever be thinking of trying one and I personally won't ever avail myself to one of those.

Back
Top Bottom