The Girls Have gone Off Their Feed!

MaryKK

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2023
Greetings All!
I have a question! We got slammed with untimely freezing weather in late October/early November and it has been below freezing at night since- The girls were naturally slowing down egg production, but after the hard freezes they stopped completely and its been cold. Big snows, etc, which is not the norm here so early in the year- I do not heat the tiny coop they are in, but am doing deep litter thru the winer.
They ARE molting.
They are out of the run when the ground is not so snowy so they can dust bathe and forage.

My concern is that they have now gone off their feed pretty much completely-

I am supplementing fresh veggies, and bugs etc- and have tried some organic scratch- they just aren't liking any seeds or grains. They aren't even interested n oatmeal, which was a huge treat before...What should I do? Change brands? Or make my own or just keep em in bugs and veg?
I get that they probly won't lay until the sun comes back and it starts being civilized temps again- But I do worry about their stress level and them not eating what they are "supposed to" eat. When it gets super cold I put stuff in the water for stress and electrolytes, they seem to like that.
Thanks for any insight!

I would cut out all the treats and they will eat when they are hungry. They are being spoiled kids right now basically who want candy and donuts instead of dinner even if the treats are “healthy” treats. Eventually you can probably reintroduce some (no more than 10% of their diet) but I’d try cutting it out first. You can also try wetting their feed to make a wet mash treat type thing. A lot of chickens love that.

I would cut out all the treats and they will eat when they are hungry. They are being spoiled kids right now basically who want candy and donuts instead of dinner even if the treats are “healthy” treats. Eventually you can probably reintroduce some (no more than 10% of their diet) but I’d try cutting it out first. You can also try wetting their feed to make a wet mash treat type thing. A lot of chickens love that.
I actually thought about that! Thanks- I'll give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom