The Henz Den

arnie023

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
Michigan
Some of you might remember me...it's been a little over a year since I introduced myself. My husband was adamantly OPPOSED to having chickens. I was beside myself because I wanted them SO BAD. Well fast forward to this past spring and hubby FINALLY realized his wife was obsessed and not going to be happy until she had chickens and gave in. Not only did he give in, but he got on board! I present to you the Henz Den! We bought a pre-made Amish coop with visions of re-making it into what I really wanted. Hubs was the muscle and brains behind the renovation, guided by my ideas/suggestions. Let me tell you there IS a reason Amish made items last...nails nails, screws and nails. Holy cow did this coop fight being taken apart! Hubs moved the window (over a few inches) and door (to the end), built a poop tray and new nesting bars (the ones that came with it were a joke) and built me a wall to partition off a feed and supply area. He also added a window, exhaust fan, automatic chicken door, and electricity (outlet and lights) for me. We installed metal nesting boxes on the new wall. He also built a rock solid, predator proof run. We also installed a rain catchment system (gutter along the run and a rain barrel) and watering system (courtesy of Carolina Coops because when I started pricing out parts, it wasn't going to save much doing it myself.)

I honestly thought I was going to have just a small chicken coop...hubs decided to go big! LOL

This is what we started with...6x12 Amish made chicken coop, and a treated wood frame for it to sit on. The ground was prepared by digging down a little, adding gravel (for drainage) then sand on top for a nice dry run and solid footing for the coop and run.
20210628_131503.jpg

The inside of the coop before we started the renovations.
20210623_173423.jpg

The new poop board and roosting bars. Yes, that's laminate flooring...we had it on hand so FREE is good! LOL
Resized_20210726_130612.jpg

The beginning of the wall with the metal nesting boxes with access door.

20210806_181249.jpg

The door moved to the end, with the additional window installed.
Resized_Resized_20210819_101002.jpg

The bones of the run.

Resized_Resized_20210721_110115.jpg

Two foot predator apron going down...ends are held down with "Dig Defense" spikes for added protection.
20210815_145727.jpg

Watering system
20210906_113832.jpg

Watering bar inside the run, chicken door, and inside the run.

20210906_113811.jpg

The entire run.
20210818_170034.jpg

Everything finished!
20210927_193714.jpg

You guys did an AMAZING job!!! Well done!
:clap
I love love LOVE that run. :love
What kind of chickens are you planning on getting, and how many?
I already have them! I have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Copper Marans, 4 Ameraucana (Blue/Black/Splash) 1 Easter Egger and one Olive Egger. I am so in love with them all!

You guys did an AMAZING job!!! Well done!
:clap
I love love LOVE that run. :love
What kind of chickens are you planning on getting, and how many?
And the chickens love that run too! it's 9'x30' and they love to do the flying run all the way down it! LOL My husband built them a bouncy bridge and put a couple swings in there too. They haven't tried the swings yet, but a few have checked out the bridge.

Attachments

• 20210906_113751_06.jpg
    20210906_113751_06.jpg
    916.9 KB · Views: 4
NICE run!
Especially if you put up some wind/snow blocks for winter.

Love the apron and they way you tacked down the outer edge.

Coop needs more ventilation than the holes drilled in there,
take those boards all the way out(front and back) and cover with HC.
Thanks! The wind generally comes from behind the coop, or from the barn side, so hopefully it won't be an issue. If it is though, I will put plastic up.

I will have my husband take a look at removing those panels.

Amazing remodel!

Coop needs more ventilation than the holes drilled in there,
take those boards all the way out(front and back) and cover with HC.

Yes, just what I was going to say.

The usual guidelines for ventilation are 1 square foot of 24/7/365 ventilation -- best located above the birds' heads when they're sitting on their roosts -- per adult, standard-size hen.

Back
Top Bottom