The scariest halloween ever, my flock is dead or dying....

Whether or not you can relocate a possum may depend on your state. It is not illegal in mine, but it is illegal in my state to relocate a raccoon.

Personally, if I trap, I kill them rather than give someone else my problem, drop an animal in a new area and cause disruption to the rest of the wildlife in the area and spread diseases. Trapping isn't difficult, but a raccoon can and will destroy a trap.

I ended up going to the ultimate solution and got livestock guardian dogs. Haven't had any predator issues since, and I was finding raccoon prints, destroyed trash, etc, every single night before the dogs arrived. They are not a solution for everyone, but they might be something to consider if you have the time and space.

Whether or not you can relocate a possum may depend on your state. It is not illegal in mine, but it is illegal in my state to relocate a raccoon.

Personally, if I trap, I kill them rather than give someone else my problem, drop an animal in a new area and cause disruption to the rest of the wildlife in the area and spread diseases. Trapping isn't difficult, but a raccoon can and will destroy a trap.

I ended up going to the ultimate solution and got livestock guardian dogs. Haven't had any predator issues since, and I was finding raccoon prints, destroyed trash, etc, every single night before the dogs arrived. They are not a solution for everyone, but they might be something to consider if you have the time and space.
For us, keeping our Anatolian male within the boundaries of our farm precluded our letting him roam freely. For many years there was a Great Pyr down the road who was also intact, and had we not kept our dog fenced in with his goats, they would have fought, perhaps to the death Our neighbor did not fence this dog, who was known to attack people walking or biking past him, including my daughter. He even tried to take on my husband's 1,400 pound Quarter Horse once as J rode down the road past him. He learned not to do that pretty quick, as Mac doesn't suffer foolish dogs lightly, and cow-kicked him away ever so softly, but with enough emphasis to make his point. He stopped trying to chase our horses after that.

So while I'd love to have a pair of LGDs roam our farm freely, it's just not possible here. We have 45 acres and perimeter fencing all of it would be hugely expensive (although it's one of the first things I'll do when I win the lottery!) LOL...

I did not fence my entire property because I too can't afford that, only the open area where the animals are. I also used a radio fence, which is not as expensive as a big fence, and it has been a huge success....my dogs were on the defense last night but never once ventured off past that radio fence. But if you have a neighbor dog that could come over and fight, maybe not a great idea to have LGDs.

Well, the neighbor dog never actually went into the goat pen where our Anatolian's charges are, he wasn't THAT dumb. I am sure our dog would have killed him had he done so.

Back
Top Bottom