The Sidekick Chicken Coop

Neolones

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
Hello all,

I am looking into getting chickens in the near future, and unfortunately I am not handy at all, so I wont be building my own coop. So I have been looking around and found a coop in mypetchicken.com, named The Sidekick.

I have tried finding reviews, but there is nothing in the web, that I find hard to believe. So I am really hesitant about buying a coop online with no reviews.

Has anybody here, bought either The Sidekick or The Hero chicken coops from Mypethchicken?

Thank you in advance!

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/The-Sidekick-up-to-6-chickens-p1464.aspx

I've never seen the coop in person and in general not a fan of most prefab coops. That being said, from the photos (for what that's worth), it appears to be of decent enough quality. OSB interior with t1-11 exterior. The frame timber looks to be untreated so I have a few suggestions that take a little effort, but generally no "handy man" knowledge.

First I would at least prime the exposed OSB. It wouldn't hurt to paint it and you can take a photo of the coop to Lowes and they'll color match if that's important to you.

I would also paint the coop floor with some sort of weatherproof paint. Blackjack 20 can also be found inexpensively at Lowes. This is a roof covering that is sort of like a paint on version of "Flex Seal" (from the TV infomercials). I don't know what kind of bedding you're planning, but this should protect the floor from moisture and such from the chicken's waste and such. You could probably get away with using flex seal actually, with such a small footprint - this gives you some color options (but it's also paintable to match the coop if you wanted) and is applied via aerosol can vs a paintbrush. You could probably even just paint the floor if you didn't want to bother with the weatherproof stuff...

Painting the untreated timbers probably isn't possible because the wire seems to be attached with fencing staples that would be a pain to remove, and at that stage you'd almost be building the coop. Good news is that it really isn't necessary so no loss. I would also not paint the roost and the interior frame timbers also probably don't need painted. Tape them off if you don't want any paint to get on them when painting the OSB (if you choose to do so)

Sidekick and Hero appear to be basically constructed the same. If you can afford to buy the larger version up front it would allow you an extra hen or two, or give your planned flock a little extra room if you don't want the extra bodies in there.

Owen, thank you so much for the detail response. Appreciate it so much.

I will definitely follow your advise and paint the interior of the coop, never occurred to me.

I think I will stay with the smaller size, the HOA in my neighborhood only allows up to 3 chickens, so that coop should be sufficient.

I am still debating if I should buy it or not, I got a quote for a custom build coop and they quoted me $4,000...so yeah no. I will keep looking for a used coop, but no luck so far.

My 2 cents: It's a cute coop - can't tell how sturdy it is though. The run is only 18 sq. feet total (3x6), so unless your chickens can run around your yard during the day, or unless you're getting a really tiny or sedate breed, you might want to stick with only two birds if you end up buying it. For THAT money, I'd buy a cute little shed from home depot or a similar place. As long as you shut them inside at night, you can just use green tposts and 48" tall 2x4 welded wire to make them a much larger (but still small/neat) run area about 8ft deep and however wide the shed is... You really don't need to be handy to put a 2x4 across the interior for a roost, and a small pet carrier or litter box with bedding for nest boxes - and they'd have a LOT more space with less money invested.

Looks at this, for example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-...t-4-5-in-Resin-Storage-Shed-BMS7791/203702042

Last edited:
Hey Teach, thank you for the feedback. I have been looking at sheds as well, have not found a shed that meets the space I would like to put the coop at. I was definitely planning to making a run for the chickens, thank you for the advise how to do it. I am still looking at options, I will be getting them until next year.

Back
Top Bottom