The spychology of chicken addiction

Apr 13, 2021
Australia
Why do some find raising chickens so rewarding or addictive? I have always like breeding animals, it started with my pet budgies as a kid which we had for years in a massive Aviary and quails, then guinea pigs, frogs and other birds like parrots too... Mostly it been avian creatures so I wanted to try chooks too an will no doubt try other birds eventually seeing the creation of new life is rewarding an watching them grow and experience life. So yeah.. I started off with wanting to live off grid which I do now for most part... And chickens is apart of that but once I got two chooks I got more and more ... Then they had babies and it's so fun watching them just do there thing and relaxing too.. Is it the same for you guys and does it maybe not just apply for chickens? I definitely notice the difference in for instance a dog and chickens, the chickens are more entertaining to watch they have there own personality and interact with there flock and yeah... There funny too an cute, which a dog is aswell but there's a difference. Plus all the different colours and things with chickens makes it really interesting.

Spychology is an interesting misspelling.
To answer your question, I think the addiction is because as long as you have the space and no restrictions, adding chickens is like a social experiment with the benefits of a form of self-preservation (eating eggs or raising for meat). If it's not about the sustainability, then creating new varieties or hatching the eggs becomes the experiment.
With other animals, you're limited even more. The bigger the farm animal, the more space and money you need. Chicks are relatively inexpensive as are POL pullets and most of the time, roosters are free! (Unless you're interested in rare breeds - and then that opens a new door). Its frowned upon to have too many house animals - like dogs and cats. Plus, there is annual vet care needed so they are more costly.
There is also the entertainment aspect of owning chickens. 😊

With poultry, I don't feel like I'm putting so many lives at risk, like I would if I bred my Maltese pups. I've had experience with a dog that needed an emergency cesarean and she had a difficult time afterwards. I have experience with a wonderful nearly perfect birth of dogs too, but I guess the problematic birth sticks out in my mind more.

Edited to say: hatching appeals to me far more than reproduction via an animal carrying and laboring.

Back
Top Bottom