The strangest "egg" I have ever seen.

ar1225

Hatching
Apr 13, 2023
Our easter-egger was a little under the weather last week. We've kept her in a sick pen and been feeding her some yogurt and scrambled eggs and she perked right back up and is back to her normal chatty, pecking self. Except for this...thing...she laid today. She hasn't gotten much sunlight as she's been inside for 2 days but wondering if this is just a result of her coming out of not feeling 100%. Maybe a calcium issue? She hasn't had her normal oyster shell. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 4.52.12 PM.png

Ah I’ve heard of eggs laid without the shells, no one has said it’s anything bad and it’s even considered good luck but I’m not sure about the blood.
My thoughts are calcium deficiency, if she hasn’t has any since she was sick that could be causing it. If you make her scrambled eggs again you could crush up and cook the eggs shells in them? Or maybe it’ll be a one time thing and it won’t happen again, if it does happen again I’d suggest mixing eggshells or oyster shells into something she eats or getting her a calcium supplement.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but that is what makes sense to me at least.

Our easter-egger was a little under the weather last week. We've kept her in a sick pen and been feeding her some yogurt and scrambled eggs and she perked right back up and is back to her normal chatty, pecking self. Except for this...thing...she laid today. She hasn't gotten much sunlight as she's been inside for 2 days but wondering if this is just a result of her coming out of not feeling 100%. Maybe a calcium issue? She hasn't had her normal oyster shell. Has anyone ever seen this before? View attachment 3469025
that's an egg with a membrane, no shell. It's not especially unusual, especially for new or ill layers. If you have no other issues, I'd assume it's just a temporary consequence of her illness and things will be back to normal soon. If she's feeling better I'd let her go back with her mates.

Back
Top Bottom