The wierest batch I ever had.

Dec 20, 2021
So I had a batch in early August last year. My broody hen incubated them. But about three days after the first egg was peeping she abandoned her nest. Also the egg peeping chick had not piped in those three days, and he was sounding weak. So, I broke a hole into the air cell so he could breath. About an hour later he hatched. I was not comfortable giving small Fri back to sweet pea (broody hen). So I raised small Fri. But the wierd thing is that small fri's egg was as old as the rest of the batch. But about a week later all of sweet pea's eggs hatched. By the way sweet pea is not allowed to brood any more due to the fear of her abandoning her eggs and the other eggs were in the incubator.

So I had a batch in early August last year. My broody hen incubated them. But about three days after the first egg was peeping she abandoned her nest. Also the egg peeping chick had not piped in those three days, and he was sounding weak. So, I broke a hole into the air cell so he could breath. About an hour later he hatched. I was not comfortable giving small Fri back to sweet pea (broody hen). So I raised small Fri. But the wierd thing is that small fri's egg was as old as the rest of the batch. But about a week later all of sweet pea's eggs hatched. By the way sweet pea is not allowed to brood any more due to the fear of her abandoning her eggs and the other eggs were in the incubator.
How is small fri doing today?

If she's a first time hen, abandoning a nest is pretty normal. Doesn't mean she can't make a good broody.

Back
Top Bottom