There's Some Interspecies MoJo Goin' On In My Crazy Quail Flock

quailbird

Songster
May 18, 2019
Northern Florida
Hello Again and Thank you all for the heart warming Birthday Wishes recently.

I have ventured back to BYC as I normally do with yet another crazy coop story for interest, learning and likely mostly for laughs.

Well, I have 4 - 1 1/2 year old Gambel beauties. Two Boys and Two Girls. I also have some, I think, 5 or 6 month old Snowflake Bobwhites. Two of which are very tame as well as one of the Gambels, a male, also tame.

So far, I have been pretty lucky in that my birds get good food, water and a nice indoor aviary with fun things to keep them busy. They see me in and out and all know me without fear though some tamer than others. Occasional fights, but no tear ups and keeping my fingers crossed with mating season upcoming. Creating nesting hideouts everywhere In hopes to avoid this.

Anyway, My most tame male Gambel seems to have left his small flock to be with the tame female Snowflake Bob. There is a tame male Snowflake too, yet no fighting...yet at least and the Boy Bob just lets the Gambel hang with the Bob girl. In fact, the three all sort of hang together with the Gambel and girl Bob closest together. There has been no actual courting display nor mounting. Just some mutual preening.

can someone provide some insight of what might be going on here?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom