They Actually Get Along Now!

GreyhoundGuy

Chirping
Jul 9, 2017
Dripping Springs, TX
We've had our five gals since May and got all five from the same acquaintance when they were moving. We initially brought in Eunice, Beatrice, and Gertrude. We later learned that there were two gals left that weren't finding a home, so we of course brought them in to the flock... maybe two weeks later.

Eunice, Beatrice, and Gertrude always had a tight bond... top of the pecking order together (with Eunice clearly at the top). Agnes and Thea were clearly at the bottom, trying to outdo each other for the coveted "Second to Bottom" place in pecking order.

And then came Tropical Storm Harvey. It wasn't the rain I was worried about, but rather it was the wind.

We ended up making space in our garage for a dog ex-pen enclosure. I brought in their poop tray and quickly screwed together some roosting bars out of 2x4s that would rest directly on the poop tray, keeping them slightly elevated above the tray. They had room for a single food container and a single water container. I took a medium sized cardboard box, cut off the top and an opening for a door, and filled it with shavings for a nesting box. We set a small box fan to circulate air and then closed the door to keep them safe.

Their coop got SOAKED and a bit battered, and I now have lots of areas to fix in terms of waterproofing. But the girls came out of it happy and healthy having spent just over two days in the garage.

In fact, they seem to get along better. There's not a lot of bickering amongst them. They tend to all walk together around the yard as they move throughout the day a bit more than they used to. It seems like they're a tighter knit family.

OR maybe they're just saying, "Girls, we better get along, or he's going to put us back in the garage!"

Happy weekend, everyone!!

-Joel

Back
Top Bottom