Things that make me chicken about raising chicks

Chicks don't appear to like cold hands, so try warming your hands before handling them.

In respect of mercy killing if a chicken is ill, sometimes its the best thing to do. I've only ever had to do one mercy killing, when a fox badly injured one of mine. For me, I had undertaken a course on dressing and despatching. Not an easy course to do if you are squeamish but such a useful skill to have. It certainly made it easier for me as I was confident that I was making the quickest and least painful death I could for her.

Thanks for everyone's support and wonderful welcome. For now I'm just going to hope for the best, look at what I might need to do in the future and figure it out from there.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Best,
Sarita

Quote:
Yeah, mine run from me two. I'm going to do the boiled egg thing. Hey my family keeps bees too! How many hives do you have?
Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

thumbsup.gif

I tend to think of my chickens like I think of all of my other pets… I have 3 dogs and 2 cats and while they also like to run away from me at times, it's a fun game but I'M the boss. I'm gentle but firm with my chicks when they are babies and they get held even if they are being little snots.
lau.gif
My grown chickens are gentle and friendly and I don't have any problems with them other than the occasional temper tantrum, but then again I figure they are just like kids that way. As far as health problems, you'll be amazed at what you will deal with and do for your chickens once you are attached to them. Good Luck and have fun.

Sigh...here are my critter numbers.

6 cats...we had 5 but one would not leave our porch for a year (yeah...we fed her) and then she got in a fight and was looking pretty pitiful so we took her to the doc and now we have 6 cats.

One dog...a crazy...have folks call before someone comes in the yard kind of dog so we can crate him. He has bitten ever single family member...oddly he has never come after a cat or kitten...they are scary to him I suppose.

A pond with about 10 koi and some sacrificial goldfish that did not take the hint that they were temps and reproduce at an alarming rate.

One hive of bees that we are going to split this summer into two.

A flock of 7 chickens when we are done with this project.

One college student who lives on campus but comes home to do laundry, eat and sleeps alot.

All of this in the center of Louisville, KY.

Now that I think about it...word might be out that this is a good place for critters to live.:)

We garden, keep bees..chickens seemed like a natural step for us.

somissemilyy I might contact you soon on the split for advice...I have a feeling the bees thrive from a good location, a great queen and our mindful negligence.

Again...thanks for all of ya'lls support. I'm more than certain I will need it.

Best,
Sarita

Many chicks do not like to be caught, held for the first time. You have to be taken seriously. Some are arrogant, but tolerable. Just wait until they are older, to achieve all of your food source and treatments...

Don't go towards them , sit and let them climb on you its so funny when they do that. Sprinkle crumbs ( chick crumble ) on your lap where they can see it falling down and they will see you as the ( Food Person ) and then the game begins.

We do this from day 1 on, and now my grown chickens when they hear the back door come running like crazy...

Quote:
Nevermind, I read down. lol

My chicks dont like to be "caught" either. In fact I have one that will stand tall, raise its wings and peck me when I try to grab it. I try to gentle coax them over.

Last edited:
I've just been letting them come to me for eggs for the last couple of days.
I'm going to have to pick them up soon so I can clean out the brooder today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom