Thinking about quail

Toadstool21

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2023
Hello everyone, I am thinking about adding Quail to our flock I have read a few article's about them but overall don't know a lot about them obviously I will do my research before getting them if I do decide to get them I am just wanting to learn. I am wondering if anyone could answer a few questions or provide different opinions.
1. from what I have read they need a grain-based diet does anyone have any experience making their own food mix. 2. if I did get quail I would like to keep them is an Avrey so they can fly around and forage how much would this cost. 3. how many quail would you need to provide a family with eggs I am thinking 40 to 50 how large would the encloser need to be. 4. what would be the cost of keeping and feeding them if I made my own food vs bought it premixed. 5. how easy are they to clean up after if they had more of a natural habitat with mulch and dirt as flooring. 6. if kept in a naturalistic environment will they hatch and raise chicks by themselves.

Hello everyone, I am thinking about adding Quail to our flock I have read a few article's about them but overall don't know a lot about them obviously I will do my research before getting them if I do decide to get them I am just wanting to learn. I am wondering if anyone could answer a few questions or provide different opinions.
1. from what I have read they need a grain-based diet does anyone have any experience making their own food mix. 2. if I did get quail I would like to keep them is an Avrey so they can fly around and forage how much would this cost. 3. how many quail would you need to provide a family with eggs I am thinking 40 to 50 how large would the encloser need to be. 4. what would be the cost of keeping and feeding them if I made my own food vs bought it premixed. 5. how easy are they to clean up after if they had more of a natural habitat with mulch and dirt as flooring. 6. if kept in a naturalistic environment will they hatch and raise chicks by themselves.
Hello! Welcome to your quail journey lol! That said, quail will rarely, if ever, hatch their own eggs. They're terrible at keeping a nest and will pretty much lay wherever they please, so if you plan to hatch your own chicks, you will need an incubator.. a 12ct chicken incubator can hold about 24 quail eggs at a time though :)

That being said, quail are fairly low maintenance and are rather reliable layers. Mine lay nearly everyday, though if you plan to keep them in an avary style cage, every day will be an Easter egg hunt! They won't lay in egg boxes, but rather wherever and whenever they feel the need. You can sell their eggs fairly easily though at Farmers Markets or on Craigslist. The eggs are higher in protein compared to chickens (size ratio wise) and 3 quail eggs equal about 1 chicken egg.

As for feed, I personally feed mine high protein game feed. Quail are game birds, so they need the extra protein. You can also feed small scratch that has crushed corn (be sure it's small enough for your birds not to choke!)

Finally, if you look at Tractor supply, they have a covered pen available that would probably suit for your needs as an aviary; though you will probably need to line it with hardware cloth to prevent escapes or predators from getting it: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808
Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Thank you so much :)
Hello! Welcome to your quail journey lol! That said, quail will rarely, if ever, hatch their own eggs. They're terrible at keeping a nest and will pretty much lay wherever they please, so if you plan to hatch your own chicks, you will need an incubator.. a 12ct chicken incubator can hold about 24 quail eggs at a time though :)

That being said, quail are fairly low maintenance and are rather reliable layers. Mine lay nearly everyday, though if you plan to keep them in an avary style cage, every day will be an Easter egg hunt! They won't lay in egg boxes, but rather wherever and whenever they feel the need. You can sell their eggs fairly easily though at Farmers Markets or on Craigslist. The eggs are higher in protein compared to chickens (size ratio wise) and 3 quail eggs equal about 1 chicken egg.

As for feed, I personally feed mine high protein game feed. Quail are game birds, so they need the extra protein. You can also feed small scratch that has crushed corn (be sure it's small enough for your birds not to choke!)

Finally, if you look at Tractor supply, they have a covered pen available that would probably suit for your needs as an aviary; though you will probably need to line it with hardware cloth to prevent escapes or predators from getting it: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808

If you don't mind me asking how much do you spend per month in feed 😊

If you don't mind me asking how much do you spend per month in feed 😊
I have 4 quail... I probably spend $5-$10 on feed every month or so? I don't have a bunch of quail, so I just buy the smaller bags of feed :)

For 50 quail, you'll probably be looking at $20-$50 per month on feed

Back
Top Bottom