This morning's alarming poop

frostmoss

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
I found a red(maybe orangeish) poop when I went to scoop the coop this morning. It was the only one, the rest all looked normal. We finished treating for cocci a couple weeks ago after I found blood in a new chick's poop. It looked quite different from this, though. I treated the whole flock with corid, following the label directions. On the very last day of treatment, a couple started showing signs of vitamin deficiency- sluggish, wobbly, the worst couldn't lift her head. I added vitamins and electrolytes to their water (the next day, after treatment was finished), dosed with poultry cell, and started vitamin therapy. Within 24 hours, there was significant improvement. Most were back to normal with 48 hours; the worst took a couple extra days to get back to 100%. Everyone's been acting normal since. (Although there were some BRIGHT BLUE poos that freaked me out until I remembered the red cabbage the day before 😆)

About my flock- this coop houses 5 standard pullets, (1)18 week old and (4)16 weeks old. No one is laying yet, although the oldest is getting close. I also have 4 bantams (10-14 weeks old) that sleep in my greenhouse. Both groups share a 132sqft run during the day; the big girls also have access to a 1/4 acre chicken paradise to forage in, the littles are confined mostly to the run. They have unlimited access to chick crumble, grit, and oyster shell in their run, plus all the bugs and goodies they can find. They get healthy kitchen scraps in the morning that are mostly gone by the afternoon, and an evening dish of mash made from the crumble powder, sometimes with something like a bit of plain greek yogurt or pumpkin puree mixed in (no pumpkin recently).

Thanks for reading my wall of text. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 20230809_090317.jpg
    20230809_090317.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230809_090407.jpg
    20230809_090407.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 7
I've read to follow Corid treatment with vitamin/electrolytes, the Poultry Cell was a good call. That looks like intestinal lining to me, think you're good but hang in there to see what others have to say.

Back
Top Bottom