Three Roosters Won't Sleep in Coop at Night

daniellewyrick32

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2023
I wasn't entirely sure which topic to post this under; I have a total of 15 chickens, and they're a variety of breeds. They all get along well. I have four roosters: one bantam, a whiting true blue (wtb), and two silver laced wyandottes. I have two coops that they go into each night. In one coop, 8 of my chickens go in, 4 go in the other, but my 3 roosters: the wtb and the two wyandottes, refuse to sleep in the coops and instead sleep in a cuddle pile on our outdoor picnic table. I will state that our wtb is our head rooster which is why I'm confused as to why he, and the other two roosters are sleeping outside.
We do clean our coops regularly, but for the past two weeks, those three have not slept in the coops. I don't know what to do as I'm worried for them as it will get pretty cold in my area soon and I don't want them getting sick or freezing. I suggested to my husband that we may need another coop, but I'd like to know the reason for the change.

I wasn't entirely sure which topic to post this under; I have a total of 15 chickens, and they're a variety of breeds. They all get along well. I have four roosters: one bantam, a whiting true blue (wtb), and two silver laced wyandottes. I have two coops that they go into each night. In one coop, 8 of my chickens go in, 4 go in the other, but my 3 roosters: the wtb and the two wyandottes, refuse to sleep in the coops and instead sleep in a cuddle pile on our outdoor picnic table. I will state that our wtb is our head rooster which is why I'm confused as to why he, and the other two roosters are sleeping outside.
We do clean our coops regularly, but for the past two weeks, those three have not slept in the coops. I don't know what to do as I'm worried for them as it will get pretty cold in my area soon and I don't want them getting sick or freezing. I suggested to my husband that we may need another coop, but I'd like to know the reason for the change.
I'll answer my idea, but I would post it under Chicken Behaviors.... here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying.18/

Sometimes locking the guilty parties in the coop for two or three days ingrains them to that's where they should sleep and/or lay eggs. You can also try putting a light inside the door or if they come to you, try getting the treat bag out and call them to you there a couple of nights in a row.

More worrisome than the cold…. they’re at risk of predation outside the coop. If any of mine refused to go in at night, I’d put them inside myself. I’m not a risk taker. Here in Ohio, we have too many predators…. coyotes, red tailed hawks, owls, bobcats, dogs, foxes, eagles. Sadly, I limit my flocks to their runs and chicken tractors during the day due to predators. Sometimes, chickens just prefer sleeping outside, but it’s a risk. If you have plenty of room inside your coops, and no one’s being harassed, then I suggest placing them together inside the same coop at night (they seem to enjoy each others company). That way, you won’t have any worries. See how it goes. Good wishes!

I may not have an answer to your dilemma. :idunno
My observation/reading your numbers,,, seems there are way too many roosters for size of flock. I think 2 roosters would be plenty.... BUT, they are your roosters, and you want them for your own reasons. :thumbsup
It appears that whatever happened,,,,, it was about 2 weeks ago. Not sure if there were any changes in the coop at that time. Was there a predator attempt??
What I would do,,,,,,,,,,, capture the 3 amigos,:frow,,,,, when it is dark. Then place them inside coop. Preferably the one without that 4th rooster. Or,,, place the WTB with the bantam in one coop. Place the 2 SLW into other coop. Maybe they just need to be retrained in coop sleeping.
Let us know what happens. You may need to place them nigty nite for a few days ,,, before they restart their own bedtime routine.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Something just crossed my thinking cap.
litebulb.JPG

You don't have your location in your profile,,, so that is another handicap,,, But I gather you are in the Northern Hemisphere,, since cold weather is soon arriving. That means that the days are getting shorter by significant amounts each day. Maybe your roosters are still wandering around,,, and it gets dark on them quickly. They have no desire to enter a coop when it is somewhat dark.
There is one thing that you can do to see if that is reason. Get a light inside coop. Not very bright, but easily visible. (a flashlight would serve also) They may be attracted to that lighted coop when it gets dusk. . You don't want that light on very long, Set it on a timer lets say for 1 hour. Experiment, and see if it is a solution,, or not.

I wasn't entirely sure which topic to post this under; I have a total of 15 chickens, and they're a variety of breeds. They all get along well. I have four roosters: one bantam, a whiting true blue (wtb), and two silver laced wyandottes. I have two coops that they go into each night. In one coop, 8 of my chickens go in, 4 go in the other, but my 3 roosters: the wtb and the two wyandottes, refuse to sleep in the coops and instead sleep in a cuddle pile on our outdoor picnic table. I will state that our wtb is our head rooster which is why I'm confused as to why he and the other two roosters are sleeping outside.
I wasn't entirely sure which topic to post this under; I have a total of 15 chickens, and they're a variety of breeds. They all get along well. I have four roosters: one bantam, a whiting true blue (wtb), and two silver laced wyandottes. I have two coops that they go into each night. In one coop, 8 of my chickens go in, 4 go in the other, but my 3 roosters: the wtb and the two wyandottes, refuse to sleep in the coops and instead sleep in a cuddle pile on our outdoor picnic table. I will state that our wtb is our head rooster which is why I'm confused as to why he and the other two roosters are sleeping outside.
It is possible they are being harassed and pecked at by the hens. Try putting them in at dusk before everyone has found a place to roost. I have had this happen to my single roo when I introduced him to the flock (when he was dropped off or "donated" without my consent and knowledge😄). It took awhile for him to be allowed space on the roost...

My questions is the age of all the birds. Often times if the flock is very young, what was enough room a couple of weeks ago, is not enough space.

I too, think that your problems are going to get much worse with 4 rooters and 11 hens. It works until it doesn't. Right now, I have two in a similar set up, raised as brothers, roosting side by side getting along just fine.

I keep a careful eye on them, I will let one go soon because in the past, too many roosters are very apt to cause problems. I like a peaceful flock.

Mrs K

too many roosters are very apt to cause problems
Ditto Dat^^

Dimensions and pics of coops would help here.
...and knowing....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1698586452486.png

Back
Top Bottom