Thunderstorms

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
OK so a while ago everyone got a little chuckle when I asked about my babies being out in the rain. I know I know...rookie duck mama mistake. However today we are have the possibility of some thunderstorms. Do you make sure your duckies get inside for thunderstorms? They're not big fans of hard rain and will go under the shade enclosure we built them but I don't want to risk one or more of them people in the pool possibly? Chances are it will pass over us because we have had 2 days of rain in two months and are in an extreme drought but just in case it does...should I bring them in? NOTE: we are building their house right now (prepping, priming painting etc) so they still live in the garage currently.

OK so a while ago everyone got a little chuckle when I asked about my babies being out in the rain. I know I know...rookie duck mama mistake.
hey, this is a valid question! The answer depends on the context, ie. Age, temperature, whether or not they use their oils properly. But even in the case of newbie duck parenting questions, there is no such thing as "silly". We've all asked the same questions some time or another, its the only way we can learn!
So don't feel silly at all.
However today we are have the possibility of some thunderstorms. Do you make sure your duckies get inside for thunderstorms? They're not big fans of hard rain and will go under the shade enclosure we built them but I don't want to risk one or more of them people in the pool possibly? Chances are it will pass over us because we have had 2 days of rain in two months and are in an extreme drought but just in case it does...should I bring them in? NOTE: we are building their house right now (prepping, priming painting etc) so they still live in the garage currently.
Anyways, to answer your current question I'd again say it depends on context.

For my two girls, they live in a covered pen so mostly stay dry from the rain and somewhat sheltered from wind. However when a storm does arrive on our doorstep, they really dislike how the wind and rain shake the tarpaulin cover. The thunder can also be very loud and it gets pretty dark.
I put my rabbit in her hutch at the first signs because she gets stressed, and I do the same for my girls because they really don't enjoy the experience.
They certainly feel safer in their dry draft proof duck house.

hey, this is a valid question! The answer depends on the context, ie. Age, temperature, whether or not they use their oils properly. But even in the case of newbie duck parenting questions, there is no such thing as "silly". We've all asked the same questions some time or another, its the only way we can learn!
So don't feel silly at all.

Anyways, to answer your current question I'd again say it depends on context.

For my two girls, they live in a covered pen so mostly stay dry from the rain and somewhat sheltered from wind. However when a storm does arrive on our doorstep, they really dislike how the wind and rain shake the tarpaulin cover. The thunder can also be very loud and it gets pretty dark.
I put my rabbit in her hutch at the first signs because she gets stressed, and I do the same for my girls because they really don't enjoy the experience.
They certainly feel safer in their dry draft proof duck house.
You are kind and thoughtful @Belovidbirds.

One of my muscovy drakes dislikes getting wet and cold, and has been miserable this spring in Northern Virginia as it has been cold and wet. He takes himself back to the shed where the ducks sleep and stays there poor boy
20230428_122302.jpg

20230621_134734.jpg

On one occasion they all took themselves back to the shed when it was cold wet and windy.

I only recall thunder storms in the evening and overnight when they are already tucked up safely in the shed. There hasn't been any sign of disturbance the next morning. I guess I am lucky that my ducks, and my beagle puppy, are not distressed by thunder nor fireworks.

I think that the OP's ducks will be fine as long as they have places to shelter. Can they get into their coop? I think it is good that ducks recognize their coop, or in my case their shed, as their place of safety

Take them inside if it makes you feel more comfortable, Im sure they will be too

I had a dog when i was a kid that would panic and hurt himself during thunder. Comparing apples and orange but i still worry about animals

Back
Top Bottom