Time out!

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
I have a hen that was caught jumping on my smaller pullet , so she has found herself locked up in smaller run and coop inside of the main run, she can see everyone , but can’t touch…I know that normal chasing and picking a few feathers is part of establishing a pecking order, but I draw the line when it pins down a smaller flock member and pecks at it… I hope I did the right thing? She has food, water, grit and oyster shells in her pen …the culprit is the Wyandotte.. the Brown leghorn the victim

Attachments

• 5C54D8DE-CC41-474B-8A8E-5020639CADEB.jpeg
    5C54D8DE-CC41-474B-8A8E-5020639CADEB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 72C6DDDB-CDC9-4355-8119-A55E4F08715A.jpeg
    72C6DDDB-CDC9-4355-8119-A55E4F08715A.jpeg
    998 KB · Views: 5
I'm afraid it is. You need to let them work it out unless the attacker is vicious and keeps attacking the same hen/pullet then you intervene by separating the bully. I separated one of my hens yesterday because she was viciously attacking another hen and kept doing it eventhough the attacked hen was already submitting. She was relently chasing her all over the yard.
Jumping on a hen like she's trying to mate her is a behavior of dominance. They do it all the time. Once they do it, they are done and life goes on. This is how they communicate, she's telling the hen that she's higher in the pecking order and wants her to know that's where she intends to stay.

I'm afraid it is. You need to let them work it out unless the attacker is vicious and keeps attacking the same hen/pullet then you intervene by separating the bully. I separated one of my hens yesterday because she was viciously attacking another hen and kept doing it eventhough the attacked hen was already submitting. She was relently chasing her all over the yard.
Jumping on a hen like she's trying to mate her is a behavior of dominance. They do it all the time. Once they do it, they are done and life goes on. This is how they communicate, she's telling the hen that she's higher in the pecking order and wants her to know that's where she intends to stay.
Well I guess I will let the aggressor out of time out

Back
Top Bottom