Time to cull cockerel?

Stablecoop

Songster
May 26, 2020
Eastern Massachusetts
Hello all!

I know this is a sensitive topic and there are folks with strong opinions on this matter. We have a 21 week old New Hampshire cockerel who has outstanding qualities in his role of flock boss and flock protector. Our flock is the same age, all hatched the same day about 21 weeks ago. The flock has 16 pullets and 2 cockerels: one alpha New Hampshire, and one submissive Americauna. The cockerels do not compete and definitely stay out of each other’s way. The New Hampshire is at times human aggressive, and I can’t quite tell what triggers his human aggression. My wife and I have been flogged by him, and on these occasions, have quickly scooped him up and held him until he has calmed down. After these times, he refrains from flogging us for a period of time, and respects our space. He is a good cockerel otherwise, he often dances for the girls, and is an extremely vigilant presence regarding predators and pullet wellbeing. Our flock is let out to run in a poultry net enclosure attached to their run ( not electrictrified) so it is helpful to know- he definitely alerts- if there is predator presence or if one of our girls needs help (once a pullet got out of the fencing enclosure and couldn’t get back in- he let us know).

My question is, with his vigilance comes some human aggression, is this something that would justify culling him? Is it fixable? We do have another cockerel, but he hasn’t shown the vigilance that our New Hampshire has. Would love to have your thoughts and feedback on this.

Hello all!

I know this is a sensitive topic and there are folks with strong opinions on this matter. We have a 21 week old New Hampshire cockerel who has outstanding qualities in his role of flock boss and flock protector. Our flock is the same age, all hatched the same day about 21 weeks ago. The flock has 16 pullets and 2 cockerels: one alpha New Hampshire, and one submissive Americauna. The cockerels do not compete and definitely stay out of each other’s way. The New Hampshire is at times human aggressive, and I can’t quite tell what triggers his human aggression. My wife and I have been flogged by him, and on these occasions, have quickly scooped him up and held him until he has calmed down. After these times, he refrains from flogging us for a period of time, and respects our space. He is a good cockerel otherwise, he often dances for the girls, and is an extremely vigilant presence regarding predators and pullet wellbeing. Our flock is let out to run in a poultry net enclosure attached to their run ( not electrictrified) so it is helpful to know- he definitely alerts- if there is predator presence or if one of our girls needs help (once a pullet got out of the fencing enclosure and couldn’t get back in- he let us know).

My question is, with his vigilance comes some human aggression, is this something that would justify culling him? Is it fixable? We do have another cockerel, but he hasn’t shown the vigilance that our New Hampshire has. Would love to have your thoughts and feedback on this.

I would not keep or breed a human-aggressive bird, I would eat him.

I have grandchildren and value their eyesight.

I also have no desire to see any of our adult friends and family injured.

Nor would I sell him, not even to someone who knows he's aggressive because a person who would take an aggressive bird has to be suspected of either being ignorant/naive about the dangers he'd present or wanting him for fighting.

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, I would never sell or give away...and we don’t breed. The only choices are to keep or cull. He’s a good cockerel with some instances of human aggression. I am not sure that we can have the best of both worlds: super vigilant flock protector, generally good roo, AND human submissive 100% of the time.

I would not keep or breed a human-aggressive bird, I would eat him.

I have grandchildren and value their eyesight.

I also have no desire to see any of our adult friends and family injured.

Nor would I sell him, not even to someone who knows he's aggressive because a person who would take an aggressive bird has to be suspected of either being ignorant/naive about the dangers he'd present or wanting him for fighting.

Back
Top Bottom