Tina brooding in the coop nest which is high up!!

AliBia

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
My adorable Tina has been brooding and about to hatch on the 28th BUT her nest is high up. I constructed another mini coop on the ground with a nest box and small run, thinking I'll transfer her with the eggs. Operation Tina, was successful last night. Shifted the eggs and her to the new nest. She reluctantly settled. I checked this morning, she was sitting in there fine, but an hour later found her in the old nesting place 😳
So, I've shifted the eggs back under her and she's snuggled all eight eggs and is sitting pretty.
What to do when the chicks arrive! Four feet above the ground is not a safe space... what to do?
Can I shift her back to ground level as soon as they've all hatched?
Suggestions needed with anticipation 🙄

I would shift her to the ground nest and block her from leaving that area.

Can you post a picture of the ground nest so we can give ideas on how to keep her there?
I am attaching the images, the first three are of the ground coop/nest, the last is the main coop with the nests on the higher level where she has chosen to sit all along.

Attachments

• 20230924_161526.jpg
    20230924_161526.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230924_161535.jpg
    20230924_161535.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230924_161548.jpg
    20230924_161548.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230923_171353.jpg
    20230923_171353.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 4
I would just move her in the evening and leave her closed in the coop part with food and water for a full day.
Then don't let her out of the coop and run combo until after they hatch.

Or wait for the hatch then move her if you are worried she will abandon the eggs if moved now.

I would just move her in the evening and leave her closed in the coop part with food and water for a full day.
Then don't let her out of the coop and run combo until after they hatch.

Or wait for the hatch then move her if you are worried she will abandon the eggs if moved now.
the OR option you suggested echos my feeling!
i just don't want to give her the stress of moving at this late stage, in a home which is totally new to her and the view in the nest utterly different to what she sees from her perch.
i'd need to be vigilant and by her side the moment eggs hatch, then I shift her and the chicks together in their new home.
do you reckon night time would be best to do the shift?

Last edited:
I would definitely do it at night unless the chicks are in grave danger in the day.
hello again.
I had to do the shifting during the day as two days prior the due date, I could hear cheeping. I shifted the eggs first and then Tina. She indeed left the nest annoyed at being in a new place, BUT, the cheeping sounds had a mega pull on her, after a few minutes she settled peacefully on them.
From the seven eggs, four have hatched thus far... lets see if the others arrive.

Attachments

• ALI_9702.jpg
    ALI_9702.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 3
  • ALI_9711.jpg
    ALI_9711.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom