Tiny egg hatched! Help it’s very weak

stacie_6

Hatching
Jul 1, 2023
Hello! Just joined this group, new to hatching ducks, and wow amazing info!
My ducklings just hatched last night, one of which was a tiny blue Swedish egg. It was malpositioned and pipped below the air cell into a blood vessel. The blood dried up and got stuck to the little one and so the need to assist. We got it out, alive and breathing, bit of yoke sac still attached, but it is very small and poor head control. And tips on how to get this little guy strong fast? It’s still in the incubator to stay warm with its siblings. But I do find they walk all over him. Do I separate them? It does get him moving more when they bug him so maybe it’s good they’re motivating the little one?
Thanks!

Hello! Just joined this group, new to hatching ducks, and wow amazing info!
My ducklings just hatched last night, one of which was a tiny blue Swedish egg. It was malpositioned and pipped below the air cell into a blood vessel. The blood dried up and got stuck to the little one and so the need to assist. We got it out, alive and breathing, bit of yoke sac still attached, but it is very small and poor head control. And tips on how to get this little guy strong fast? It’s still in the incubator to stay warm with its siblings. But I do find they walk all over him. Do I separate them? It does get him moving more when they bug him so maybe it’s good they’re motivating the little one?
Thanks!
I would place the little one in a bowl
He won’t be stronger till all the yolk is absorbed and had time to rest
Could be up to 24 hours after assisting a hatch
Many that make the pip missing the air cell still hatch just fine when ready
In future when they skip the air cell time that’s gets added to external pip
Baby can take 48-72 hours if after 48 I don’t see any new progress like a second hit then I’ll candle over the pip area to see what veins are left
If lots I know it will be a long time 8-12 more hours before I check again
If little then I check 4-6 hours of no veins then I’ll make the zip around the egg and let baby push out when ready

Put this one into a cup lined with dry paper towels to keep the others from possibly rupturing the yolk sac. Give it time to recover when we help it takes longer. You could move the others to the warm brooder to give this lit
I would place the little one in a bowl
He won’t be stronger till all the yolk is absorbed and had time to rest
Could be up to 24 hours after assisting a hatch
Many that make the pip missing the air cell still hatch just fine when ready
In future when they skip the air cell time that’s gets added to external pip
Baby can take 48-72 hours if after 48 I don’t see any new progress like a second hit then I’ll candle over the pip area to see what veins are left
If lots I know it will be a long time 8-12 more hours before I check again
If little then I check 4-6 hours of no veins then I’ll make the zip around the egg and let baby push out
@stacie_6 how the duckling doing?
The duckling is actually doing pretty good! I took the stronger ducklings out and left him in the incubator a bit longer to stay warm. I really don’t think this little one would have made it out, the membrane was dried stiff and stuck to the bird, it had stopped peeping and very little movement so glad we intervened when we did. It’s drinking some sugar water from a eye dropper, head is a bit stronger. Interested in going to the water and food but not seeming to get anything yet. It’s just over 24hrs old and in the brooder with the others now holding its own

F78A9A05-6C86-40F4-A0F8-00B7D094C9D4.jpeg

Such good news. Please keep us updated and of course pictures when you can!!

Attachments

• 278E703C-4400-47F6-82FA-F4A5E528AEB7.jpeg
    278E703C-4400-47F6-82FA-F4A5E528AEB7.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 2
  • F9DECA9D-FFEB-44D5-AE88-D326AA41A60B.jpeg
    F9DECA9D-FFEB-44D5-AE88-D326AA41A60B.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom