Tips for getting chick to be okay w being picked up?

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 5 six week old chicks. I’ve been very hands on with them from the start and handle them multiple times every day. All of them are okay with being picked up except 1. She’s a barnelveder. The rest even jump up on my lap and perch on me…. Not her. She has no interest and runs from me.

I’ve been trying a new method of picking her up and feeding treats while I hold her but idk if it’s working. She seems fine while I do it, but the next time I need to pick her up, all hell breaks loose. (I try approaching her down low instead of from the top… still no good.)

I need to be able to pick them up. We have a lot of hawks, sometimes we get loose dogs, and just for routine inspection.

Suggestions welcome!

No expert here but some just don’t like being handled.
My buff Orpingtons are very friendly. They run to me, 3/8 jump in my lap as soon as I sit down. The other 5/8 are at my feet.

My Wyandotte’s come over to me, but none of them want anything to do with me picking them up.

I just accept it. As long as they come when I call, that’s all I care about. I call them and reward with treats. I have done that since they were in the brooder.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom