Tips for using Styrofoam Incubators

urbanhatch

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 6, 2008
New York
Over the years I have read many complaints about keeping accurate temperature and humidity in Styrofoam Incubators. Here are a few tricks that are working for me. I am using a Farm Innovators Pro Series Model 4200. The Model 4200 has a fan and auto turner.

Model:
Model 4200 (2).png

For more accurate Humidity and ease of use, use a few leftover prescription bottles filled with water:
Humidity in Incubator.png

Use a towel underneath the incubator for better insulation:
Towel Insulation (2).png

Use a Hygrometer to watch humidity:
Humidity (2).png

Wishing that all of you using a Styrofoam Incubator have great success. BTW, the eggs in the incubator are Serama Bantams. Hatch day is October 21.

I've used styrofoam incubators for like forever. The best tip I couId give is to use a hovabator.
IMO the rest are unpredictable. Ive lost so many eggs trying to hatch with Little Giants that I won't owe one again.
I use wafer style hovabators and don't have any issues. They've been plug and play for me. Ive ran them year around nonstop for a few years or put it up for winter and break it out in spring. Theyve been so reliable for me that I don't even use thermometers.
Humidity depends on where youre at and what part of the year it is. Here in spring and part of the summer I don't even put water in them. In the winter when I'm heating with wood I have to add water daily.
I've never had to worry about temps so never tried extra insulation. I'd be very concerned with putting a towel under them. They have vent holes on the bottom or bottom edges of the sides. Those holes are what brings fresh air in you don't want them getting covered.

Back
Top Bottom