Tips on picking Pullet Barred Rock chicks??? HELP!! (PICS UP)

Quote:
Okay thank you seems to make most sense! I will definitely have to go back and choose a darker BR from all this advice I think I have a much better idea of what to look for now!

Good luck. This is a method my mom always used as she loves this breed. Unless we needed another roo she always gave or sold the light and med chicks. This is not to say that some of them may have been hens but all the ones we kept were always hens and worked 100% of the time over many many years.

Quote:
Thanks I would much rather find a darker one and get a hen then take a 50% chance and get a roo that I would eventually have to find another home for! I like the 100% odds a lot better! lol

From looking at the head colors and foot colors i think its a roo...

Im pretty sure pullets have black-ish feet and the spot on their head is more like a perfect circle and not all spread out
hmm.png

Here is a great pic of my 6 week old BR chicks. The one in front is Checkers, the Roo. His comb is much darker, his feathers much lighter, and his legs much less black than the others. He is actually much smaller overall, but that's the way it goes, I guess.

brs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom