To add or not to add?

PeeperKeeper99

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Tallahassee, Florida
Hey everyone! I have solved many questions by means of byc, and i want to thank everyone who has helped me and who will help me. So, I have been thinking about adding to my flock. i need to do some coop renovating first, but egg production is just too slow. i have been thinking about also getting a rooster, so i can sell chicks. I will be hopefully getting a buff orpington rooster. How many hens should i get though? i am wanting about a dozen eggs every two or three days. maybe get three more? i have two already, by the way. Also, if there is anyone in the tallahassee/capitola area with a buff orp roo for sale? as soon as im done with the coop i will want to buy him, which would be in two or three months. Also anyone with buff orp hens for sale please let me know. As you might be able to tell, im sold on buff orpingtons!

I'd just go by how many eggs you are getting now, with two hens. Probably 2 or 3 more hens would do it, but you can't predict with precision how many eggs a particular chicken will lay. It's usually recommended to have 10 hens for one rooster, to aboid problems from overmating -- and even with 10, often a few favorites still get torn feathers or worse. To a point it depends on the temperament of the roo.

Back
Top Bottom